cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: Nightmare! Paying for FTTP infrastructure? No upgrade plans in-place.

Ah you did mention it.

As you have above the 10mbps you might be stuck then until such time they install FTTP in your part of the village and or an Alt Net shows up.

I’m in the same boat, they’ve put FTTP in some places in my Village where I live. I live on a road with 10 culdesacs along the length of it. We’re all fed off the same PCP that is connected to an antiquated ECI DSLAM that isn’t fit for purpose.

For whatever reason they installed FTTP in the culdesac on the top of the road and the two at the bottom. Everyone in between was told we’re not getting it for the foreseeable future. 

Its the same story in multiple’Fibre First’ areas around me, they’ll put it in 3 streets, miss out 2 and then put it in the next 3. 

How it was planned that way and why god only knows, trying to get a sensible answer out of anyone is impossible.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 14

Re: Nightmare! Paying for FTTP infrastructure? No upgrade plans in-place.

@Starwire  ah so it's not just me! We can suffer together. 🙂 10Mbps is insanity in this day and age, I really did get substantially better speeds than I do now a decade ago. To think my 4g antenna connecting to a mast in a distant farmers field regularly gets me 3-4x the speed of a solid connection is madness (although worse ping/stability). However when you factor in the cost of both I'm paying double what my mates pay for full fibre. 

I think some reclassification is in order, the difference between FTTC and FTTP is so incredibly drastic how can superfast be defined  as 30Mbps? By that standard also I'm on regular non-superfast broadband but everywhere blanket advertises that because FTTC is available that I'm 'superfast ready'.  If I were to run a Netflix 4k sub that's my entire bandwidth gone and then some .. and their compression is incredible.

Also doesn't stop the "your whole family and the dog can stream on every device all at the same time!" marketing that gives the impression I am not in a black hole of connectivity. 

It's like they are forgetting properties served by cabinets which are so far away will have terrible bandwidth, they have some odd calculation that estimates connectivity not factoring in a million other variables and it leaves a huge gap. They aren't pushed to upgrade infrastructure because why upgrade me if I already pay a blanket fee and have no other choice? The only driving factor is government subsidy which again works off faulty data and gives spots of upgrades and misses properties over the road. 

richarde90_0-1631000578483.png

'Fast' , frustrating. EDIT: Oh and also based on my offers I 'could be doing more with Fibre 1'

richarde90_0-1631001092768.png

More buffering? They're the same because I'm at a literal physical limitation which they don't care to acknowledge. 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 14

Re: Nightmare! Paying for FTTP infrastructure? No upgrade plans in-place

@iniltouswrote:

FTTPod can be provided as a residential service, but BT don’t offer it ( it’s unclear if you are a BT customer anyway ) you would have to use an ISP that does offer FTTPod , but as already mentioned it can be ( very ) expensive, other forums have contributors that have paid £8K and more. 

A business in my village paid a six figure sum to get FTTPoD.  Only for FTTP to be made available to it at normal FTTP prices.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

Re: Nightmare! Paying for FTTP infrastructure? No upgrade plans in-place

Apparently any FTTPod order should be checked against any ‘native’ FTTP rollout and if the area is in the programme the order doesn’t proceed , but given the lead times on FTTPod can be lengthy,  it’s possible that the area wasn’t planned for FTTP when the FTTPod order was raised, but subsequently became one.

TBH , an Ethernet leased line may be a better bet for some businesses rather than FTTPod even quite small businesses,  ( leased lines are no longer astronomically expensive in many cases ) but there is always the advantage with FTTPod than once the build cost and initial 12 months are up with the ISP that arranged the service, you can be treated as any other customer in native FTTP area with the prices that apply to that.

0 Ratings