Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

O800 PHONE CALLS

Go to solution

1.  Can someone please inform me if it is only BT that provide the 0800 numbers

2. If so do they have the account details of the 0800 numbers that are given?  

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

13 REPLIES 13
Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Is It Only BT That Provide The 0800 Numbers.

Go to solution

Well, I answered my own question:    The answer is No, other telephone companies also provide the O800 numbers. Thank you all so very much for your very experienced help on this subject that was not forthcoming on this occasion.

BT customers are being robbed every day by phishing phone calls and you do not have one person on here to give a simple explanation on a very important subject, shame on you. 

Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Can I Provide An 0800 Number To BT So They Can Check It Is One Of Their Customers?

Go to solution

Thank you in advance for any advice on this very serious subject. 

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Re: Can I Provide An 0800 Number To BT So They Can Check It Is One Of Their Customers?

Go to solution
Perhaps you could explain , if BT don't allocate all 0800 numbers, which are free to call anyway , how is anyone being robbed by BT ?
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Re: Can I Provide An 0800 Number To BT So They Can Check It Is One Of Their Customers?

Go to solution

@Elizabeth21wrote:

Thank you in advance for any advice on this very serious subject. 

Please be aware that this is typically a peer support forum, and it takes time for people to read the posts. Expecting someone to reply an hour or two after an initial post is asking a bit much.

What is the actual issue? Can you post the 0800 number? How are people being robbed?

Yoiu haven't provided any details for anyone to judge how to respond. You also keep changing the post thread subject.

Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@Andy_N  @iniltous 

The problem is many people are getting phishing /scam phone calls, they stopped for about a year or so for me but over the past few months they have started back up again. They are now using the 07 mobile numbers. 

The other day I had an "international"   0800 number ring, I always thought these were safe because they were provided by BT.  My logic was if this number rings me again I could contact BT and see if it was a legitimate number but I have now been informed by BT the 0800 is also offered by other phone providers.  Preventing these scammers from getting access to your bank accounts is a non-stop war and BT acknowledged that. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Elizabeth21wrote:

@Andy_N  @iniltous 

The problem is many people are getting phishing /scam phone calls, they stopped for about a year or so for me but over the past few months they have started back up again. They are now using the 07 mobile numbers. 

The other day I had an "international"   0800 number ring, I always thought these were safe because they were provided by BT.  My logic was if this number rings me again I could contact BT and see if it was a legitimate number but I have now been informed by BT the 0800 is also offered by other phone providers.  Preventing these scammers from getting access to your bank accounts is a non-stop war and BT acknowledged that. 

These scammers are not using the numbers displayed. They are spoofed using VoIP systems.

Again have you got an example of an 0800 number? How do you mean an international 0800 number? Did it show as 00800 xxx or similar? (that's a different type of number altogether).

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Most scammers use spoofed numbers, frequently non-existent ones whether 0800, 07 or anything else, so there's no point in trying to deduce anything from the number purporting to be calling. Any unexpected call from an unfamiliar number should be treated with suspicion.

[EDIT:  Previous message was posted while I was faffing about with mine.]

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Andy_N  No, it was definitely an 0800 number and that number was also on another popular "who phoned" website when I checked on there.

Now you have informed me about the 00800 l will keep a lookout for that sequence of numbers.  The problem with the other website is the scammers are aware of it and scam on there to say the numbers are safe, really nasty criminals.  I think I gave that O800 number to BT (I don't want to say what it is) and also other numbers that have been ringing. Thank you for helping because this is affecting us all.    

Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Elizabeth21wrote:

@Andy_N  No, it was definitely an 0800 number and that number was also on another popular "who phoned" website when I checked on there.

Now you have informed me about the 00800 l will keep a lookout for that sequence of numbers.  The problem with the other website is the scammers are aware of it and scam on there to say the numbers are safe, really nasty criminals.  I think I gave that O800 number to BT (I don't want to say what it is) and also other numbers that have been ringing. Thank you for helping because this is affecting us all.    

Not sure why you're reluctant to give the 0800 number.

Note that I didn't say scam calls were associated with 00800, I was asking about your comment about international 0800 calls and what you meant by it.

Scammers are naturally aware of the "who phoned me" sites, they are also aware that people block numbers, hence they change frequently. They are also aware of people that can believe what they are told from these criminals calling at random, scaring people into action. That's how they work, pure scare tactics.

This is a worldwide problem.