cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Can I Provide An 0800 Number To BT So They Can Check It Is One Of Their Customers?

Go to solution

@pottyperson  Thank you for replying.  I use my phone screen so I don't pick up the phone on dodgy numbers, it's so difficult though with mobiles because all my family & friends use them and the 0800 always seemed safe, it puts you off your guard.   Anyway, the fight goes on against these people. 

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 14

Re: Can I Provide An 0800 Number To BT So They Can Check It Is One Of Their Customers?

Go to solution

It's important to realise that 'BT' isn't the only provider and isn't the industry police, if you are getting unwanted calls that are trying to 'scam' you into giving personal information , or access to your computer , it's not just BT customers that recieve these type of calls , and the call almost certainly doesn't originate from a BT customers line ...as already mentioned, these scammers can 'spoof' the calling line identity , so the number that is displayed on your phone isn't neccesarily the number the call was made from, and even if the number shown is genuine and the call unwanted rather than trying to con you,  it could be be a customer of one of hundreds of service providers (not just BT) and if they are unwelcome but not illegal, then no company can arbitrarily stop them.

BT like most other providers offer ways if reducing the amount of unsolicited calls at a network level, there are facility's that can be activated on your line to reduce these calls  , and there are call blocking phones etc, but unfortunately BT , or any other provider cannot stop them all.

Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

@Andy_N  I think you know the website I am talking about, lol. I don't want to give any credence to that 0800 number that's why I won't mention it.  Whenever I speak to the scammer callers they always say they are from BT Internet.   I was hacked a few years ago and it was a horrible experience, it's like being mugged. When I contacted BT and spoke to a genuine BT person today they said the exact same thing happened to a close relative just a short while ago. 

That website I was talking about should consider updating their strategies because the scammers are now aware of them and work their stuff on there so you end up thinking a number is safe when it really isn't!  

Elizabeth21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

@iniltous  The reason I asked about who provided the  0800  numbers was that that I always thought it was only BT,  Bt would then have a log of who owned those 0800 numbers so if I was experiencing a nuisance 0800 number I would be able to let them know so they could take action or they would be able to tell me if that number was safe or not.