Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

One site issues - long post

Go to solution

Hi

Apoloies for this being so long, but I have been trying to resolve for many days now.

A Google search for MicroSoft MSDN Forum will offer a few links, any of those links for me produce the issue here. This is he only site I get any issues with.

The problem is that any of the Forums on that site give me a 'linear' sort of layout where everything is shown on a new line (each item could be a menu item, or a text block of the reply/post, or anything that is a separate entity in the HTML. The issue is further complicate in that all/any link that would allow me to make a post/question/reply are all disabled, showing javascripyt.void() instead of being a link/action.

I have done many things to try and solve this issue, including but not ;imited to:

1.  blamed myself for changing something but finding I hadn't

2.  Reinstalled Windows 10 64bit (3 times in all.

3.  Tried both Edge and Firefox at all stages

4.  Used the Firefox developer tools to see that the incoming data showed MANY instances of ' a security error prevented the resource from being loaded' - they all seemed to be CSS related which sort of explains why my page layout was all screwed up - but not WHY such errors were occurring)

5.  Posted on Firefox Support  My Post

6.  During the time posting there and getting some info, I decided that the issues must stem from BT so contactd them. As you would imagine, BT denied having anything to do with such errors and dis-associated themselves from the issue saying that it seemed from my efforts that the problems must come from Microsoft. Well, I had sort of thought that too, but, it would seem that the many thousands of that Forum Users don't have these issues - so, where does that leave me?

From all my research, it would seem that there is some connection with the validity of SSL used in the security checking of mixed incoming data where part of the data has an olser version and the other part has a modern version (as you can tell, assuming someone has had the gusto to reau thus far, that I have a severe lack of knowledge about the material I was trying to make sense of.

Well, apart from the shouting, that is a very cut down version of my problem. I hope someone with the advanced knowledge of such things can assist me - I have exhausted all my ideas/research. Could the BT virus/malware checks cause such difficulties for me?

Regards from Livingston, Scotland
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: One site issues - long post

Go to solution

Check to see if you have BT Web Protect activated. You do this via MyBT.

https://www.bt.com/help/security/learn-about-bt-web-protect

You have not said which device you are using. If it is possible are you able to try the device on a different network such as at a friends house or if you can, tether your phone and use 3g/4g connection. 

This would at the least rule out or in it being a BT problem. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks, that was the solution. Web Protect was set to 'ON'.

Is that feature set ON by default as I don't use the security options in My Extras? In fact, I don't even remember that name! Anyway, fixed! My long boring efforts were unnecessary after all.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@leshay wrote:

Is that feature set ON by default as I don't use the security options in My Extras?

No. I've never touched it and this is how it appears in the security section of MyBT:

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

BT are now turning on Webprotect on all accounts even if you don't want or ask for it. 

I think you call it the nanny state. Take the freedom of choice away where you have to opt out instead of in.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi keith and

So, BT did switch it on!
Well, they cost me a *lot^ of head scratching, and, as I bought a new computer too, a lot of ££££!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@leshay wrote:

Hi keith and

So, BT did switch it on!
Well, they cost me a *lot^ of head scratching, and, as I bought a new computer too, a lot of ££££!

Yes, it is ridiculous that they are doing that. There will no doubt be goodness knows how many other people in the same position as you were. 

BT send out enough useless junk emails you would have thought that they could have for once sent out emails about their proposed change or better still an educational email regarding the "possible" benefits of turning on BT WebProtect but still leaving it to users to decide.

Another dumb policy implemented by somebody that has not heard of  "unintended consequences"  of actions that are not fully thought through.