cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fizzbang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

One year of Infinity misery

This issue with the faulty Home Hub 5 appears to have been going on for around a year...but I think that with the increased take up of infinity following cabinet upgrades and recent advertising campaigns, it has finally dawned on BT that the numbers of complaints seemed to have been growing.
So, they basically swept this issue under the carpet for a year...I personally feel sorry for all the poor individuals that have had the full year of engineers visits , new hubs etc with a lot eventually having to pay hundreds of pounds just to get a new hub that works.
It is truly a shocking episode and one I think BT should be ashamed of.
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: One year of Infinity misery

I have to agree with you to a certain extent. Infinity has been pushed hard, even to those who really don`t need it, so they wonder why their web browsing isn`t any faster, after an upgrade. There are plenty of other reasons for that.

I have lost count of the number of "upgrade" letters I have received, trying to persuade me to get Infinity.

I always though that the idea of Infinity was to provide a faster connection for those people who get very low ADSL speeds, (sub 2Mb)  owing to their distance from the exchange.

Its not BTs fault, as other ISPs are pushing the service just as hard.

Technically, Infinity is pushing the limits on an old copper network, and variable performance is going to be expected.

Added to that, is the fact that the equipment is situated in outside cabinets, as opposed to an air conditioned exchange.

The HH5 also carries with it a lot of the issues which have affected the home hub range, since the HH3. Other ISPs have similar issues with their kit.

These are just my personal views.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

I'd certainly agree that Infinity promotions should be more open about who would benefit. I enjoyed an ADSL service around the maximum at 18Mbps but elected to upgrade to Infinity for TV services. Infinity1 at 38Mbps is also around the maximum (doubling the download speed and upload x8) but, with the rare exception of larger data transfers, there's no noticeable difference during internet browsing. Had I upgraded just because it was there, I would have wondered what the extra fiver a month was for and expect that others do too.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Fully agree with all of you.

I am still on ADSL with about 12Mbps d/l and 1Mbps u/l.  I can stream videos, watch on-demand TV and complete everything else that I need on the Internet. My son plays video cames on the playstation and on his PC without any problems.

It may take a few seconds or few minutes to download very large files but I find I have enough time in my life to allow for that so saving a few seconds or minutes with faster speeds does not really interest me.

I don't run a speed check every hour of the day and I don't take a hissy fit every time it drops a few Mbps.

I am surprised at the take up of Infinity by people who are getting reasonable ADSL speeds and I would be surprised if they actually noticed any difference without the use of a speed tester. Unless you have a family of very heavy users or your ADSL speeds are very poor I doubt they will notice any difference in day to day use.

The BT/Openreach infrastructure should have been upgraded first to be able to cope with the expected demand then they should have rolled out fibre. his would have prevent some of the congestion/over subscribed problems that customers have.

BT have done a great job in their marketing and Joe Public is falling for it instead of sitting back and asking himself "do I really need to have faster speed?"

brianhes
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Agree with the general thoughts, shows the folly of the local implementation of the BDUK upgrade program, giving the option of FTTC for those near enough to the exchange to get good speeds, and leaving rural properties with the lower speeds they already have, but with higher levels of peak period conjestion and lower speeds still.

allanr66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Having gone from an adsl speed of around 2mbps to nearly 70 on infinity 2 I can say clearly see the difference ! The fly in the soup is the lack of stability in the broadband connection. The hh5, to my mind, is dross. Once ive decided on its replacement I'm sure the service will be excellent. Right now every time we loose connection, and its regular, my ear gets bent from the rest of the family 😞 One last comment, before the last engineer visited and got the line ip profile reset, download speeds were at 34mbps. It was clearly still a vast improvement on what I had, but felt completely cheated that I wasn't getting 70mbps. Human nature at its worst ??