cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

PC Infected by Trojan Virus Rootkit.Fileless.MTGen

Symptoms:-
1. With the default browser set to Internet Explorer Internet Shortcuts would start and then close down almost immediately. Changing the default browser to Microsoft Edge worked OK.

2. The Microphone did not work as the virus kept Muting the Microphone and setting the level to zero.
Manually resetting these would only last a few seconds before they were reset again.

A full scan by Microsoft Windows Defender or McAfee BT Virus Protect did not detect the virus but using the trial version of Malewarebytes succeeded in finding and then quarantining the Trojan Virus.

8 REPLIES 8
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: PC Infected by Trojan Virus Rootkit.Fileless.MTGen

If you really have been infected by a 'rootkit' the only sure way of getting rid of it is to restore Windows from a backup or 'recovery' image.  Laptops usually come with this type of thing.  Possibly desktop/tower PCs as well.

Manual removal is often possible but time consuming.  So if asked to fix a rootkit I wipe the drive and restore or reinstall the OS.  Data loss is a possibility which is why one should always have a copy of anything important stored off the machine.

Message 3 of 9

Thanks for that Liam. The third symptom was high CPU usage with a constant running fan. All is currently back to normal. I do have many data backups and will keep monitoring the situation. GarinasCFRogers
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I've always found Malwarebyes (the free version) scan to be much more thorough than McAfee.

Basicly I have McAfee Bt Protect running as standard and then about once a week (or if feeling suspicious) run the free version of Malwarebytes to do a scan, e.g. the free version is not resident as McAfee is since as you probably know it is a very bad idea to have 2 resident virus protect packages running concurrently.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Those people that frequent this forum will know my views about McAfee and BT Protect however on this occasion I think you are comparing apples with oranges.

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus programme and should not be confused with one. It can run happily alongside an antivirus programme on your computer.

It should be used in conjunction with a decent Antivirus programme.

According to Malwarebytes web site it will detect (my bold):-  "malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors". 

Computer users should have many layers of defence on their computer. The first being awareness by the user about what they are doing with their computer such as what they are downloading, links they are clicking on and what web sites they visit.

This is then backed up by a good antivirus programme and that in turn is backed up by a good malware programme such as Malwarebytes or ADWCleaner (which is now a Malwarebytes product).

These programmes should be kept up todate and you should either set the programmes to carry out a scan on an automated schedule or if you prefer to to manual scans have a proper schedule when you will do one.

EDIT: I would also add that I agree with Liam. If you have had a rootkit infection I would wipe the computer and re-install.

Message 6 of 9

Symptoms:-
1. With the default browser set to Internet Explorer Internet Shortcuts would start and then close down almost immediately. Changing the default browser to Microsoft Edge worked OK.

2. The Microphone did not work as the virus kept Muting the Microphone and setting the level to zero.
Manually resetting these would only last a few seconds before they were reset again.

3. Heavy CPU usage and cooling fan constantly running.

4. Mouse often needed more than one click.

A full scan by Microsoft Windows Defender or McAfee BT Virus Protect did not detect the virus but using the trial version of Malewarebytes succeeded in finding and then quarantining the Trojan Virus.

Liam_
Expert
Message 7 of 9

It may be worthwhile investing in a good PC security suite.  There are a few good ones out there and not really bank breakers either, do a search for them and read the professional reviews.

Kaspersky,  seems to be quite good.  Recommended by some forum members.

ZoneAlarm do a free AV/Firewall suite as well as a paid for version.

I use Symantec Endpoint here and never have any problems, it does not hog system resources like a lot of the free things.

If you don't want to spend any money then there are several online resources dealing with manual rootkit removal.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@GarinasCFRogersSo you said 2 days ago!!!

Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

SPAM ALERT
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.