cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Phone line has been cut by previous owners and don't know what to do next.

Go to solution

Hello, 

I moved into my new home 3 weeks ago now and we've been trying to get internet ever since. We were going to go with Sky as the previous owners apparently had Sky so it would be less of a wait. Tried ordering fibre with Sky, payment went through, everything was meant to arrive the following week, all was fine. My partner then got a text from Sky saying that there was a problem with the order and it was cancelled. I then did some research and realised that every single house in my area can receive fibre, except our home. Here is a photo of what dsl checker says for my house and my neighbours https://imgur.com/vyb55D8.  Anyway, I contacted Openreach and they replied a few days ago (took them a week to give me a generic reply) they said someone from the correct team would be in contact soon. I'm happy to wait as I realise they are very busy but my concern is that they'll either just ask a question and I'll have to reply and wait another week or so for them to get back to me. My other concern is that they'll once again tell me to contact my ISP and I can't do that because no matter who I try to sign up with, it gives an error. 

A Sky engineer came out on Monday to install Sky TV for us and my partner asked out of curiosity about the internet problem and she had a look at the phone line and it has been cut by the previous owners. So I'm guessing that's why every ISP is saying I can't have fibre? My problem now is that I can't get anyone to repair the phone line without taking out a long contract that tells me I can only get 3MB/s speed when I know for a fact there is fibre in the area. I rang BT today and they suggested getting a local electrician in to repair the cable but I don't know if something would need to be done at the junction box etc, I don't know how these things work. If anyone has any advice, that would be amazing! Internet is very important in our house and I would like it fixed as soon as possible. 

Thanks for listening! 

6 REPLIES 6
Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Phone line has been cut by previous owners and don't know what to do next.

Go to solution

If you're going with Sky, they will need to arrange a new line installation, Openreach will then repair/install a new line, most likely there will be a charge.
The same applies with all providers, it needs an engineer, there's no line to reactivate, pick the ISP that offers the best cost, all will use Openreach unless it's Virgin Media or an alt-net.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@ColinMcM 

This is a BT Retail customer forum.

As you are going with Sky, then please post on their user forum. Someone there should be able to help.

Openreach is a separate company, and has nothing to do with BT Retail.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Thanks

Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Hi Ritchie, thank you for the quick reply!

So I tried ringing Sky and asking them this. However, every single time I call them, they look up my postcode and house and according do their system my house can only receive 3.1-7.5Mb/s whereas my neighbours can get 72-74Mb/s (https://i.imgur.com/ZiBAGPg.png) and they won't let me join because they can only guarantee that speed that is currently showing. So I can maybe go through with an 18 month contract but I couldn't ever complain about the speed. If that makes any sense?
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Apologise Keith. I was posting here as I thought BT would be the best place to ask for phone line related problems. Thank you!
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@ColinMcM wrote:
Apologise Keith. I was posting here as I thought BT would be the best place to ask for phone line related problems. Thank you!

No apologies are needed, as its a common misunderstanding that BT own everything.

BT Retail are just one of many different providers that use Openreach, there are probably no more experts here, than there would be on the Sky forum. Also Sky have their own equipment in the exchange and do not use any of the BT exchange equipment. Some faults are often specific to Sky equipment.

I would agree that many years ago when British Telecom were the only provider, there was a a lot of expertise, but most have long since retired, and things have moved on quite a bit.

Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

choose the ISP that you wish to go with. At the order stage tell them there is an existing line but this has been damaged by the previous tenants. 

anything from the Master Socket and the wiring back is the responsibility of Openreach, who your ISP will be renting the line from. 

you shouldn’t have to pay for the connection of a new line as there’s one already in situ , but damaged. 

The fault that’s currently on the line will not reflect the speed results that are shown when placing an order. These details are held on a central data base, as the OP says Sky do use their own equipment at the exchange maybe their unable to supply fibre. What about other ISP’s?