cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Phone line not working

Go to solution
  • I have 4 wires that I need to connect to my openreach 5c master socket box. Orange, White, Green and Black. They need to go into ports 5, 3 and 2. Could anyone help me please?
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phone line not working

Go to solution

@Mikeabo 

Who provides your phone service?

Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Utility warehouse but the wiring is original they did not supply it

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Mikeabo 

This is a BT Retail Customer forum, and has nothing to do with Openreach or Utility Warehouse.

You will need to contact them and explain that you have a problem with the Openreach wiring, and you need help sorting it out. Openreach own the wiring before the master socket.

There will almost certainly be a charge as you have interfered with the Openreach network, unless this is a new line, when there should be no charge.

You may find this forum of helphttps://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp.html

I think they are now called Shell Energy.

Thanks

Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
I just need a bit of help.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Mikeabo wrote:
I just need a bit of help.

Try the forum I posted the link for https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp.html

Search for Utility Warehouse.

This BT Retail forum would not be able to advise, as it could result in you being charged by your provider.

By all means look on the Internet, as there are plenty of public forums which are not associated with any Service Provider.

Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Going to be charged anyway. Plasterer disconnected the box and left it. He's not helping.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Mikeabo wrote:
Going to be charged anyway. Plasterer disconnected the box and left it. He's not helping.

Then call  Utility Warehouse and explain the problem. They should be able to arrange for an Openreach engineer to visit and reconnect and make sure your phone line is working.

Not sure of their charge, but BT Retail customers are charged £85 for a visit.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

A suggestion which may help is to check if that wiring supplies an extension socket and if it does check where the wires are connected and repeat in the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

These are unusual colours. They are usually first wire with a main colour striped with a lesser 2nd colour & the second wire in reverse colours, e.g.

WHITE-orangeORANGE-white

Are these wires for phone extensions within the house? If so, do you have 2 extension sockets there? Or are they meant to be the main incoming landline from inside the wall? In which case there should only be a pair of wires.

These diagrams may help you figure it out: Improve your line . Port 3. the Ring wire, is no longer needed and should not be connected as it's detrimental to BB. Thus only 2 wires are used per extension; you have 4!

Are you using a qualified telephone linesman? An ordinary house electrician will not have the knowledge.