cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pierce36
Beginner
Message 41 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Thanks for sharing. I've received a call like that before and this caller told me the same story, but he was purportedly from Microsoft. He even tried to scare me into allowing him remote access to my computer so he could troubleshoot it from his end before my system crashed down. But I knew it was a bluff. Why wouldn't I? I don't have a Windows computer. I got a Mac. 

pierce36
Beginner
Message 42 of 104

The scammer used 800-698-9034 to call me. I Googled it and pulled up http://www.callercenter.com/800-698-9034.html where several complaints were posted, associating the phone number to this fake Microsoft scam call. Apparently, this scam's been prevalent recently.

SPIKEYNORMA
Beginner
Message 43 of 104

I got a call from an Indian lady saying she was with Bt v v v strong accent .she asked for a named person when I replied with no one had that name she said it was me who she needed to talk too although my details did not match to hers obviously I didn't give her my details she became quite forceful stating she needed to talk to me I eventually was forced to hang up just to get rid of her so people please be careful with your details PS this happened last night Friday2-8-13
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 104

Thanks for the heads up, but I can assure you that NO one gets to speak to me unless I know the number.Smiley Happy

If I do not recognise the callers number then they either get turned away or are allowed to leave a message.

toekneem

(EASBF)

dodgydo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 104

It is now 2013 and this thread has been running for three years!!!! I have just had one of these calls and yet it seems to me BT are doing NOTHING to warn its customers about this SCAM!

More importantly I am Ex-directory so how did they get my number? How do these people know that I am a customer of BT Broadband? Somehow BT have a big leak in their security and has been already mentioned it is probably in the Indian call centres.

Im no longer under contract with BT so unless I get some answers I am NOT going to continue to be a customer.

I cottoned on to the fact this was a scam 10 seconds into the conversation when I asked the idiot why the BT installed and supplied antivirus sofware was not doing its job, his answer was "because its other hidden stuff"! I then asked him to prove he was from BT so he said he would send me an email and then call me back.......Im still waiting for it!

BT, if you read these, for heavens sake, for once just INFORM YOUR CUSTOMERS OF THIS SCAM! there will be other more vunerable people out there who will be taken in by this if they were not then these horrible people would not still be doing it!

Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 104

@dodgydo wrote:

It is now 2013 and this thread has been running for three years!!!! I have just had one of these calls and yet it seems to me BT are doing NOTHING to warn its customers about this SCAM!

More importantly I am Ex-directory so how did they get my number? How do these people know that I am a customer of BT Broadband? Somehow BT have a big leak in their security and has been already mentioned it is probably in the Indian call centres.

Im no longer under contract with BT so unless I get some answers I am NOT going to continue to be a customer.

I cottoned on to the fact this was a scam 10 seconds into the conversation when I asked the idiot why the BT installed and supplied antivirus sofware was not doing its job, his answer was "because its other hidden stuff"! I then asked him to prove he was from BT so he said he would send me an email and then call me back.......Im still waiting for it!

BT, if you read these, for heavens sake, for once just INFORM YOUR CUSTOMERS OF THIS SCAM! there will be other more vunerable people out there who will be taken in by this if they were not then these horrible people would not still be doing it!

I'm Ex Directory but it means nothing. It's almost 100% certain they do not have your number. They start of with 0********0 and then add a 1 on and then change it to 2 thern 3 etc. It's not someone sitting there going through all the numbers. I'ts a machine.

As the biggest broadband supplier and communications company in the UK ,chances of you being a customer are quite high .

These forums , the same as Sky , Virgin, Talk Talk and all others are full of people talking about telephone nuisance/scam calls.

Newspapers carry stories of people being conned.

On our local radio today , police were advising listeners about con artists ringing people up claiming to be police etc.

Does any of this stop callers being conned. NO.

Some people are only too willing to listen to people on the phone and believe all they hear.

You say that unless you get some answers you will no longer be a customer.

Where on earth are you going to go.

Tell me one communication company that guarantees that no scammer/ nuisance /cold caller will ever ring a particular number.

All you or anyone else can do is take sensible precautions yourself.

Report any nuisance scam calls to the relevant body, if you have the number.

Subscribe to certain calling features that a communication company offer, call bar, block withheld  etc.

Purchase call blocking equipment like Truecall or the CPR.

I personally use a Truecall unit, despite still getting a high number of nuisance calls Not 1 has actually got through to me, so they can call and waste as much of their money as they want. All I see is a flashing light.

toekneem

(EASBF)

n0n-g33k
Contributor
Message 47 of 104

On a slightly different note - we got a cold call this morning from somebody claiming they were a billing company for BT Open Reach and they could save us over £100 ... we were being charged for things we weren't using, yadda yadda.  Fast talking, insistent.

"premiercalls.co.uk" is who the chap said he was from - not that I looked up the website.  Instead I searched the name which threw up complaints in a uk business forum - fairly recent complaints (like March and May of this year).

May be perfectly legit, but my rule is "if I want something, I will go looking for it", anybody that keen isn't doing it for MY benefit.

So my question is - is Open Reach branching out or is somebody from BT selling our phone numbers?

**Here today....blonde tomorrow**
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 104

http://premiercalls.co.uk/ is a genuine company,in fact it is in my own town,they were proberly doing some cold calling.

But I don`t think that they are connected with Openreach unless they are an OR client.

Highlighted
Message 49 of 104

Still going on!

Customer of mine who is with BT reported some broadband issues recently. He then received a call a few hours later from BT saying that his PC was hacked from Nigeria. They used remote login and showed the problems.

They wanted £399 for 5 years support and antivirus. They told him his Norton NIS 2013 software would not stop hackers. They loaded 'MS Security Essentials' (which is free) and CCleaner (also free) to help speed up his PC.

VISA have been warned and are trying to get payment returned.

They have a UK based website at www.mypcstaff.co.uk (registered in Delhi), the main office address in Brighton also appears to be fake. The freephone telephone 08007563440 is also routed to India. I wouldn't trust these guys to last than a few weeks!

My customers concern is that someone at BT Broadband Support (in India) is possibly is passing on customers numbers, either that or its just a very odd coincidence that someone has called back a few days later knowing his name and details.

Maybe BT needed to do some regular checks their support guys!

Distinguished Guru
Message 50 of 104

@MarkPearson1962 wrote:

Still going on!

Customer of mine who is with BT reported some broadband issues recently. He then received a call a few hours later from BT saying that his PC was hacked from Nigeria. They used remote login and showed the problems.

They wanted £399 for 5 years support and antivirus. They told him his Norton NIS 2013 software would not stop hackers. They loaded 'MS Security Essentials' (which is free) and CCleaner (also free) to help speed up his PC.

VISA have been warned and are trying to get payment returned.

They have a UK based website at www.mypcstaff.co.uk (registered in Delhi), the main office address in Brighton also appears to be fake. The freephone telephone 08007563440 is also routed to India. I wouldn't trust these guys to last than a few weeks!

My customers concern is that someone at BT Broadband Support (in India) is possibly is passing on customers numbers, either that or its just a very odd coincidence that someone has called back a few days later knowing his name and details.

Maybe BT needed to do some regular checks their support guys!

There are far too many incidences of these types of calls happening very soon after customers have been in contact with support in India.

Trouble is ,no matter how many times you tell people about all these scam calls, a lot will still get caught out.

Maybe BT security dept should be doing more to check up on these occurances. Do some bogus calls to Support etc and follow through..

Any way on a lighter note, can you tell your customer that I can sort it for £299Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)