cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drbenhall
Message 11 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

It's a little while since this particular thread was active, but I've just this morning received a very similar call. I expressed surprise that BT were calling (as we don't happen to be BT customers at this particular location), and the caller said, "Alright" and hung up the phone.

Is there someone that I should report this to?

Ben

splott
Beginner
Message 12 of 104

Just had one from Indian sounding guy. 'Hi, this is BT support. You have a problem are you on the line.' Eventually he said i have a virus on my pc and its being reported to him. web address is teamviewer that looks like remote control software. When asked for a number to validate his unsolicited call he gave out 0800800151. Didnt hang up in a hurry, was adamant that he was from BT and I had a problem with my pc. Funny that seeing as there are several pcs, phones and consoles connected to my router at anytime.

In the end told him to stop scamming people and go do something more useful with his time.

ps. I have BT as a line provider, but not broadband.......numpty.

Play along if you can be bothered. tell em where to get off though. Smiley Tongue

Malacath
Expert
Message 13 of 104

I know a couple of people who have had the same types of phone calls claiming to be off microsoft. Indian accents as well so could be part of the same criminal organisation. They used a login123.com address. Which makes it obvious they are not from microsoft.

Unfortunately though there will be a lot of people scammed by these calls because most computer users have no idea about phishing and viruses

splott
Beginner
Message 14 of 104

Good grief, then I had another one 3 hours later. This one was 'from Microsoft'. Nervous lady, reading a script, didn't have a clue what she was talking about. Told her to go.

Bizarre scam.

Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 104

@splott wrote:

Just had one from Indian sounding guy. 'Hi, this is BT support. You have a problem are you on the line.' Eventually he said i have a virus on my pc and its being reported to him. web address is teamviewer that looks like remote control software. When asked for a number to validate his unsolicited call he gave out 0800800151. Didnt hang up in a hurry, was adamant that he was from BT and I had a problem with my pc. Funny that seeing as there are several pcs, phones and consoles connected to my router at anytime.

In the end told him to stop scamming people and go do something more useful with his time.

ps. I have BT as a line provider, but not broadband.......numpty.

Play along if you can be bothered. tell em where to get off though. Smiley Tongue

I had one of these - I find them real fun, as I tag along with the muppet. I told the person I use Linux, which totally stumped the buffoon, as he keeped repeating about using Windows - so he got his manager!

I said - thanks for calling and staying on the line long enough for me to trace the call, at which point they hung up immediately.

As an aside, Teamviewer is actually a very good bit of software - I've used it to help family members in the past. It can indeed let an end user (if given permission of course) to take control of their machine, In criminal hands, the person could look for all sorts of things.

splott
Beginner
Message 16 of 104

I did have enough time on the call to check out some reviews of Teamviewer, no intention to associate their product with the scammers.

Been on and warned my mum and some others that could easily fall for such a scam. Called BT about it, but call centre were more interested to tell me to call back if it was a nuisance caller - then they'd trace it...err, if this call couldn't be traced then how will a later one be any different after the event?

How you stop it I don't know. 

Montala
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 104

I would like to warn others that I have just received from a very polite foreign sounding gentleman (calling from an 'International' number), who after having asked for me by name, and then telling me my telephone number, said that he was calling from BT's Technical Support department, and that they had identified a virus on my computer.

Immediately suspecting a scam, I asked him to confirm that he was actually a BT employee, calling from BT, and he assured me that he was. When I asked for a telephone number to call back on, he replied "As a BT customer, I am sure you must know our Customer Support number".

I then asked him for his name and for the actual location, and department, in which he worked, in reply to which he just replied "BT Technical Support", before passing me to his 'Manager' who gave his name as 'Richard John', and again confirmed that he was calling from BT, and asked how he could help me.

I replied that they had in fact called me, and told him that I was fully aware that the call was a 'scam' and that it was not actually from BT anyway. He then replied "I am sorry that we can't help you today then", and terminated the call.

So, a warning to all... if you receive a call such as this, string them along by all means, but do not give then any further personal information at all (not even your date of birth) and definately do NOT, under any circumstances either download, or install any software on your PC as a result of the call.

esseff
Beginner
Message 18 of 104

I had an interesting call earlier from someone with a Tyneside accent claiming he was from BT and offering a broadband upgrade. He knew my name but seemed to know nothing else about about my connection, such as 'was it BT broadband, how long had I been with BT, was it BT Yahoo or a BT Option, what colour was the modem, was it wireless enabled, was my connection dial-up, was my line for business or home use, how much was I paying? He resorted to "just going to speak with my supervisor" at one stage to check my details. When I told him I was happy enough with my present package, the call ended. Immediately afterwards, I rang 1471 and the number 08009 234348 came up as UPS tracking website, according to a Google search.
Rather strange...
(I didn't pass any personal details, of course.)
Highlighted
Message 19 of 104

hi, I've also been getting these calls over the past few months, claiming to be from either BT or Microsoft stating that I have a virus on the computer. Its always a polite pakistani female on the phone ,but, when you start questioning them they just hang up. I believe they are trying to lead you to a website (can't remember which one) which then allows them to access you computer & as I believe charge you £180 , there is an article on the Guardian website ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres) if anyone is interested in reading about these scams, I think they have been trying to scam a lot of people

rationalzombie
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 104

http://www.youtube.com/user/id516265#p/u/5/Ab22fgjoC4E

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left