cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 104

Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

I just got a phone call today purporting to come from "BT Technical Support" telling me I had a virus on my computer. I played them along and they wanted me to download something from a strange web address. When I then said why isn't it a bt.com address if you are from BT they realised I knew too much and made their excuses and hung up. I then called BT and got through to security and reported it. The download would no doubt have

compromised my computer - the caller was very plausible and I imagine they might catch a number of less wary folk.

I'm sure the call did not originate from BT. I'm hoping BT will try and warn people about this - perhaps they have on a page I never look at?

Be warned.

103 REPLIES 103
Message 2 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Hi NickT,

Thanks for posting and letting us know about this. If any other members receive these calls please let us know.

Cheers

David
Highlighted
Pudsey3672
Message 3 of 104

I had two similar phone calls, one at 0:45 this morning which went to message and another this afternoon, both purporting to be from BT technical support saying I had a problem with my BT Broadband. I am not with BT for Broadband and this combined with the fact that the caller number was unidentified I immediately became suspicious and refused to continue the conversation. The callers have heavy Asian (Indian?) accents and speak English very badly. I had not picked up the lack of background noise but that is a good pointer too. Afterwards, I thought I should have asked them for a number on which I could call them back as this might help BT trace the scammers.

I will be warning all my contacts to watch out for this one, although I'd hope no-one is stupid enough to download anything without checking first.  

r1sh12
Expert
Message 4 of 104

definately a scam, for most services you should not expect a call from the provider (bank, utlities etc)...

The only time you should expect a call is if someone you have called has told you they will ring you back.

E.g calling customer support, they ask you for a number to call incase you get cut off.

When ever I have been called about something which I know is a scam constant swearing and being loud stops them ringing back. Or asking where they are from.

I wouldnt be surprised if some BT employees in india or where ever were selling data.

T-mobile employees recently were caught doing this.

Message 5 of 104

I just received one of these calls - the caller initially claimed to be from BT Care and suggested that there was a problem virus (not detected by anti-virus software) and wanted me to check something on my computer. When I suggested they prove their credentials they became very short with me so I hung up on them. This is quite worrying 😞

andyevans
Message 6 of 104

I kept getting these calls as well-they were usually from an Indian guy who called himself Thomas who said he is from BT Tech Support and there is a problem with my pc.

I said that I knew about the scam and if he called again I would report him. At this point his tone changed completely and he said "go on then go ahead" and hung up.

Obviously a scam so be warned and don't be taken in by these people.

Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 104

Funny enough I've only started getting this type of call since signing up to BT Infinity, is there some coincidence?

It's not unknown for this type of scam to originate from companies with Indian call centres, and has been reported in the press before a mobile phone company and a bank I think.

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 104

I have had a similar one last night saying it was from BT and that my TPS registration has expired.

I was just starting to string him along when he replaced the phone.

The name he used was something like "Tom Johnson" not very convincing with a broad Indian accent

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Ook
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 104

Same here: Caller name : Lisa However they had a very very very hevy indian accent I located a number that they were calling from it was 0034.......... Italy Defo a scam , There is a Virus on your pc, No theres not, How would you know your not an Computer expert we have had training on this, No I just Have a Degree in software engineering and development what are your qualifications. oh um , Could i speak to your manager please, **** You and they then hung up.
Fuerte
Contributor
Message 10 of 104

I read somehwere, cant remember where, that someone played along with them, gave them numerous fake bank details, let them "install" there products on his PC via the internet, they then told him it was succesful after which he told them he didnt have the internet, they hung up lol.

Just an idea.