cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raid1968
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Try and capture these numbers and run them through http://whocallsme.com/ thats what I usually do just to see if anyone else has had them.

But it can be a bit fun stringing them along, but I wouldn't rule out that these could be current or ex BT Indian call centre employee's.

I don't have any internal phones in the house now since moving onto the Hub 3, just my mobile. On my Hub 2 it was only ever India calling, made sense to not bother with internal phones.

Raid

brauckmann
Message 22 of 104

I received phone call yesterday from a man with an Asian voice purporting to be from BT customer services. The call sounded plausible at first as I have been experiencing difficulties with the internet and had requested the help of BT technical support not long ago. I only ended the call because I did not understand the caller very clearly and because upon each of my questions there was a long silence before the caller replied. (Almost as if on sleeping pills. )I said I had no time and would call back later, which he seemed to regret. He then wanted to know when precisely I would be calling back and after I gave him a time the call ended. With hindsight I think the confirmation of the call back time was just a way on the side of the caller of pretending to care and of sounding authentic. Retrospectively I am wondering if the long silences between utterances were a means to gain time although I do not know for what. It worries me a little bit, as I have been experiencing problems with the internet and this phone call planted the paranoid idea in my head that there might be a connection.

Thought I'd share.

jurgenpie
Message 23 of 104

Just had a similar call tonight saying they were monitoring my internet speed.
kat100
Message 24 of 104

Hi I received a phonecall today from a gentleman apparantly calling from BT online technical support.

He advised that his name was Adam Young and that my IP was sending a signal to BT to say that I was downloading something or other that was making my internet connection slow. He wanted me to go to a website so that engineers could access my computer and remove the files that were being downloaded. I advised adam that I would verify he was from BT before I did anything and that I did not want anyone to access my computer remotely.

I think this was a scam - but it was very convincing.

Kiggly
Message 25 of 104

I had a call last night, 8.30pm. The indian sounding guy said I had virus issues. I said how did i know he was from BT, he told me my number. Then wanted me to logon to a website. I refused and he got very shirty. I said i would verify this with BT. Asked for his number and he gave 0160 070 2197. I have not called him back. Also i am ex-directory.
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 104

@Kiggly wrote:
I had a call last night, 8.30pm. The indian sounding guy said I had virus issues. I said how did i know he was from BT, he told me my number. Then wanted me to logon to a website. I refused and he got very shirty. I said i would verify this with BT. Asked for his number and he gave 0160 070 2197. I have not called him back. Also i am ex-directory.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of scammers doing this. Repeating your number back to you after he's either dialled it or his systerm has doesn't prove he's from anywhere.

These scammers want people to perhaps logon to the Teamviewer (or similar) site which enables the end user to control the other's PC - which can then install dodgy stuff or get off personal details. Teamviewer isn't to blame, it's actually a very good product.

They could also send the user to a booby-trapped website, or get the user to download a supposed anti-virus package which "proves" the caller's info - and then trying to get the user to pay for a clear, which never works anyway.

Them giving a number is perhaps unsual, and the number range is for TTNC Limited, a sort of VOIP company. It's likely that the number is diverted to something else anyway. However it could be a valid real customer, so it might be wise to remove it from your post (0160070) is fineas that is what appears in the Ofcom listings.

Unfortunately having an ex-directory number (or being on the TPS) won't stop people like this calling.

As you've done, get some details - then hang up.

ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 104

Here is an easy way to scare them off [Joking].
If it`s a female on the line talk dirty with some heavy breathing.[Still Joking].
If it`s a guy just get tough and tell him to ,,,,OFF!.[Not Joking].:)

NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 104

I have been getting these around once a month for most of this year, I deal with them in varying ways depending on  mood. I start singing to them, whatever jumps in my head until they hang up they do this by the first few words.  I maniacally and hysterically agree to see my GP regarding this virus and thank them for their concern and cry,  seconds into my act they hang up.  Or i tell them I use a linux based Operating system, they normally hang up, on the sys bit of system!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
jimm2
Beginner
Message 29 of 104

We recently received a similar phone call and had a look at the web site and although did not log in or register, did open an article. We have anti malware and also security software but if this is a malicious site is there anything we should be doing to check that we have not inadvertently imported some mal or spyware and then how would we get rid of it??

Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 104

yes use the security and malware soft ware you have installed to check your system