cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimm2
Beginner
Message 31 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Clicked on Star so hope you get a positive result.

Thanks for the helpful answer

Gristle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 104

Had this bloke called Richard from India call earlier so put phone down , phone rang and the same bloke said why did you put phone down anyway same as you all I have a problem/ virus on my windows computer, he's adamant I got a dell half hr later fed up with listening I say why u going on a poxy window I only use macs here .the dell tower is only running the wifi through he keeps saying I sending signals the router flashing like mad he says it's. Of working I say I'm not using the macs he says but I'm sending you settings I say there yeah out of your ass , I say I'm going shopping that's starts him off again I put phone down after he try again later.but seriously it's a joke if you put a phone down they phone you back up to have a go at you .
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 104

Get an answer machine then he can spend as long as he wants talking to himself.Smiley Wink Nausiating so and so's.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Message 34 of 104

I got a call this morning from a woman with an Indian accent claiming to be from a company called Teamviewer.com. She said they had detected that my connection was slow and that they could speed it up if I logged onto their site. I sussed what was going on immediately so decided to string her along a bit to find out how much they knew about me in order to trace where they got their info from.

I told her that I couldn't access her site as it kept throwing up error messages (which it didn't as I didn't even attempt to access the site for fear of browser transmitted viruses) and she directed me to try again in different browsers. I told her I would try to access it via google then said that the only link that came up was one saying 'teamviewer scam'. In a naive voice I asked her if I should click on this link to access their site and in a panic she told me 'no no, don't click that link. Click one of the other links.' I played stupid and said there were no other links and asked her again several times whether I should click the scam link and she panicked some more. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it. Eventually, however, she did twig and hung up.

The more disturbing bit however is that seconds after she hung up my anti virus software alerted me to a trojan keylogger which had just been downloaded to my PC. And believe me when I say my antivirus is extremely under-worked - the virus vault's only got one other thing in it, and that's arguably not suspect. Years of no trojans/malware etc, then one immediately after a scam call for which I didn't do anything they asked me to do.

The ability of this person to access my PC leads me to believe that the scam is being operated from inside BT or at least with the help of BT staff.

When I cast my mind back recently to when we had our latest BT broadband set up, the engineer arrived looking like what I could best describe as 'suffering withdrawal symptoms', he appeared out of it and glazed with dried sweat. After he set it up he told us there would be a delay in getting online which I can respect. He then left and came back 5 mins later and gave me the card with the broadband login details and password. He said he forgot he had it. I did change my password, but I may have already ended up on a list to target.

peterclements
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 104

I was phoned about an hour ago from international
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 104

@peterclements wrote:
I was phoned about an hour ago from international

What did they say!!

toekneem

(EASBF)

MarkAB
Message 37 of 104

I was called just a few minutes ago and like many people that have posted here already, I was alerted when the software this person was asking me to download was not a BT product even though they reported to be from "BT Technical Department".

The lady in question was, by her accent, probably from India and directed me to two sites to download applications. 

1. www.technicalsupport.com

2. www.teamviewer.com

Both of these advertising applications  I do not want or need.

Be careful guys

sueyo
Message 38 of 104

I had a call like this yesterday evening - "Jamie" from "BT Technical Dept". He tried to bully me into turning my computer on, which at least had the merit of making me particularly suspicious. As others have said, he gave the BT freephone number when I challenged him. Ultimately he just kept repeating the same thing. I hung up, and to my surprise I got a number when I dialled 1471, which is why I'm posting this message, just in case it's helpful - I didn't try ringing it. The number was: 02546 368 933.

sueyo

chrissie10
Beginner
Message 39 of 104

I have been contacted today (thurs 21 Feb) re scam phone calls using BT as front.  Caller, who has an indian accent, pretends to be from BT.  Says BT have detected a virus on my computer causing a degradation in performance (download/upload speed).  To correct the problem he ask that I connect to teamviewer.com and join remote control session.  When I ask for proof that he is from BT ie a number I can call him back on he side steps the question and my request for telephone number.  I then put the phone down.  He later calls again after about an hour.  I say that I don't believe he is from BT and ask him to quote my BT account number to proove he is from BT.  He immediately hangs up.  The telephone number is withheld (of course)  shame telecom companies don't do something to prevent this.  Not good that this is happening using BT's name and reputation, I can imagine a lot of people could be fooled by this.  Have BT thought about contacting customer base to warn them?

regards Chrissie10

Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 104

A search on the internet or this forum will show lots of instances of this happening, it is just one of the many scams doing the rounds at the moment.

I am sure BT would not be able to contact all their customer database to warn of every scam as it happens, the onus should also be with customers to be wary.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.