cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonib
Beginner
Message 51 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

I had someone proporting to be from BT ring me today, giving me information that I'd had a problem with my broadband last week that had been fixed - that was correct.   Couldn't swear to it but the name seemed familiar as one of the people that I spoke to at BT when going round their system to get the problem fixed (another issue!). They then proceeded to tell me that they had been checking subsequently & that I had a further problem with my Windows computer & that I had inadvertently downloaded a virus/malware which was causing problems with my broadband access.

When I asked how they knew they told me my computer was connected to the Windows server!!!!  When I told them it wasn't they insisted so I asked them why when it wasn't a Windows computer (i can lie convincingly! Smiley Tongue ).  They hung up!!!!  Number was unknown.

However I then tried to report this issue to BT as I could deal with the scam phone call but was concerned about the accuracy of their information (yes I realise it could be a gamble on the callers behalf but it seemed rather too accurate in timing comment).  I had great difficulty with finding the right BT number, routing through the menu system & then trying to describe the concern to BT customer services agent  & get her to report it to any security section.  Basically she wanted to check that BT hadn't made such a call rather be concerned about security. Smiley Frustrated  Oh well we'll see what happens.

As others have said on the forum it does look very suspicious that these calls come soon after there have been issues.  More should be done to let people know of this scam even if it is only in their BT update booklets that they send out with all the news & adverts.  Most people are aware of the Microsoft scam but when its from BT with accurate info its more likely to fool non technical recipients of the call.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 104

As stated by many before, this is too much of a coincidence. Call BT call centre then shortly after get a scam phone call.

There is obviously a breach in BT security and they need to sort it out. I think the next time I hear of somebody being scammed I will point them in the direction of this thread so that they can use it as evidence of BT having knowledge of their customers details being handed out by BT staff. This will no doubt assist them to pursue BT through the courts for allowing their lack of security to assist the scammers!

Could the moderator team please inform the BT internal IT security officer of this and let us know what action BT are taking to prevent customers details being given out.

It can't be to difficult to find the operator who dealt with the calls of customers who subsequently received scam calls and find out if there is a common thread. ie same operator(s).

Distinguished Guru
Message 53 of 104

@gg30340 wrote:

As stated by many before, this is too much of a coincidence. Call BT call centre then shortly after get a scam phone call.

There is obviously a breach in BT security and they need to sort it out. I think the next time I hear of somebody being scammed I will point them in the direction of this thread so that they can use it as evidence of BT having knowledge of their customers details being handed out by BT staff. This will no doubt assist them to pursue BT through the courts for allowing their lack of security to assist the scammers!

Could the moderator team please inform the BT internal IT security officer of this and let us know what action BT are taking to prevent customers details being given out.

It can't be to difficult to find the operator who dealt with the calls of customers who subsequently received scam calls and find out if there is a common thread. ie same operator(s).

Correct gg30340, far too many reports of this happening. If BT wanted to take this seriously (as they should) it should not take too long to set up some false accounts so they can be monitored.

I had this myself two years ago, all of a sudden getting calls from abroad within days of speaking to support in India.

Someone over there is grabbing the numbers of people who are calling in. Come on BT do some research on this.

You can't blame Openreach for this.

toekneem

(EASBF)

ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 54 of 104

Personaly I am not supprised that scam calls are happening,because if the security dept [assuming it excists] is like the rest of the departments of the BT company,they can`t even communicate with each other and the customer without messing up something or the other.

If there is an internal security problem,it should be sorted ASAP,but ASAP seems to be impossible these days.:)

bergman93
Message 55 of 104

Just received one of those calls purporting to be from my broadband provider. I told them to go away, but not before I took note of the telephone number used to call me. It was 01145 825963. Hope someone can do something with this information before anyone else gets targeted.

Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 104

Seems to be a well known nuisance.

whocallsme.com

petej
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 104

And it is still going on.

Just had the very same phone call and they even knew my BT Account number.

gphil
Message 58 of 104

Hi petej,

I had a similar call before Christmas from a man claiming to be from BT in India, regarding a problem with my computer, following a repair to my line which affected my internet.When I asked him how I could be sure he was from BT, he quoted my BT Account number.He took me through a long process on my computer, causing me increasing unease, until asking me to connect to a commercial web-site for remote access software....I proceeded no further and he put the phone down on me.

A month ago I reported the matter to BT, making it clear from the start that a BT employee in India must have given across my details as a result of my recent protracted contacts over my broadband faults.I made it very clear that I considered it to be a criminal act.I was passed to someone from the "security team" who passed on my complaint to the "investigations department".I was also given a reference number.When I asked what the number was for, I was told that if contacted, it would verify that the call was genuine.Nobody from the team has contacted for any first-hand information and I don't know who to contact for any progress report.

If you have not already done so, please report your similar event in the hope that something is being done about it.Perhaps the Information Commissioner needs to be contacted if I hear nothing further.

TheMeltemi
Beginner
Message 59 of 104

AND @ 24-01-2014 They know BT Account numbers...why is it so hard to report issues to BT?
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 104

If any company phones our home the wife puts them through if I'm home, otherwise she tells them to ring back and speak to me.