cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nethelp22
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

I have a pensioner friend who regularly ( every 1-2 months) gets a call from an Indian Guy
trying to talk about BT- Internet stuff - the pensioner hasn't even got a PC/laptop ..
what's upsetting apart from the call is my friend has choose to refuse,
+ the expensive calling features, that block calls unless the number is available via 1471,
think its called anonymous call rejection - and the calls still come through.

he can't get their number though..

His reports to BT call centre - they just say they can't block foreign numbers ..
How poor a service is that, especially when paying quite a bit of money for all the extra privacy features

a pensioner !!! - awful isn' it?

In my personal view, some unscrupulous people high up in BT in India
are selling these databases for profit to con-men
these databases have details and personal information used to scam
that's how they are doing it ..

How they can call and get through anonymous call reject I do not know.

Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 104

They are not allowed to block calls from, or supposedly from "International" areas, and at the moment International Caller ID does not work. BT are upgrading exchanges so that in the future (supposed to be finished Autumn of 2014) International Caller ID will be available.

Then you should be able to block or at least NOT answer calls that show International numbers.

There are other devices which can block calls including calls originating from abroad. They do cost money ,but some can be saved by not having the chargeable options.

Do a google search on Call blockers. There is a choice available, some better than others , some more expensive than others.

[quote]

In my personal view, some unscrupulous people high up in BT in India
are selling these databases for profit to con-men
these databases have details and personal information used to scam
that's how they are doing it ..

A lot of people would agree with you Smiley Mad

toekneem

(EASBF)

Nethelp22
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 104

many thanks I'll look into the call blockers 🙂
Nethelp22
Aspiring Expert
Message 64 of 104

purchased one , and took great delight in cancelling anyonymous call rejection and choose to refuse
that's about £7.50 a month ( almost £100 a year )
compared to the purchase of a one off pro-call blocker £25 -- there's no comparison
( have to have caller ID enabled - which I've just done on his line )
brilliant -- all the reviews are excellent for this product , & call blocking in general - cheers
cb.jpg

lewistheweeman
Beginner
Message 65 of 104

Hi

my grandparents had one of these calls today

the said something was wrong with their computer then started talking their spiel.

then my granda informed them there was no computer in their house. The bloke hung up
Distinguished Guru
Message 66 of 104

@Nethelp22 wrote:

purchased one , and took great delight in cancelling anyonymous call rejection and choose to refuse
that's about £7.50 a month ( almost £100 a year )
compared to the purchase of a one off pro-call blocker £25 -- there's no comparison
( have to have caller ID enabled - which I've just done on his line )
brilliant -- all the reviews are excellent for this product , & call blocking in general - cheers

Another Scammer bites the dustSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

Tourist
Aspiring Expert
Message 67 of 104

I get one of these calls from time-to-time. Such a shame they don't understand Welsh...

bingefeller
Aspiring Expert
Message 68 of 104

We get a lot of these calls, as I'm sure a lot of other people do. We always say "Those people don't live here any more" and hang up. The problem is that I'm worried one of these calls will be genuine - the minute I see "out of area" or "international" appear on the caller ID display I can guess what the call is going to be - and I am hanging up on them.

It's a shame that BT can't do anything about this, yes I understand these centres aren't governed by UK laws, but surely BT must know what numbers these calls are coming from.
Robbob58
Beginner
Message 69 of 104

Hello, yesterday (25/02/14) I was contacted by somebody who purported to be from BT saying I had virus on my computer which they could see causing unusual activity on my IP address. I realised this was a scam when they tried to get me to register a Western Union account, however the worrying thing is they knew that I had recently reported a broadband fault and had my correct BT account number.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 104

The moderators of the forum have been informed of this as it would appear to be an internal security matter.