cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 71 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Hi Robbob58,

Welcome and thanks for posting. This doesn't sound right at all. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Robbob58
Beginner
Message 72 of 104

The scamers called back and left a number with my wife 0117 3182 372, this is a Bristol number but expect VOIP to India

Nethelp22
Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 104

36722d2a2fc1.jpg
Using this one, important to programme it properly
this actually require some knowledge oof spoofers "0" type calls and alt witheld
i mustn't have set it up properly as one bad guy go thru 😞
have to be a bit of a sage to crack this 🙂  header-developers-programme.png

Twackers
Message 74 of 104

I've just had the same call.  The caller got quite shirty when I questioned who my Broadband supplier was......they took a guess, you could hear it in the voice, at BT.....I said that was a guess and why would I give you the details.  They eventually hung up.  Obviously a scam.  BT should be warning people about this as, like an earlier poster said, some people might be taken in as it sounds like a call centre......lot of noise in the background and a heavy indian accent.

Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 104

these scams have been going on for years it is not an ISP's problem i have known people without broadband or even PC's get them
viviana
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 104

I read many post regarding this kind of scam. Is there any action on the part of the phone provider?

Distinguished Guru
Message 77 of 104

@viviana wrote:

I read many post regarding this kind of scam. Is there any action on the part of the phone provider?

I think the best advice is for everyone to use "Common Sense" it's free.

Don't believe anything anyone tells you over the phone.

If you do not know them personally, then hang up.

If you did not initiate the call to a known number do not under any circumstances give out any personal/confidential/security information out.

I actually find it hard to believe that so many people are lulled into a false sense of security when someone rings them. If a man in civilian clothes knocked on my door and said he was Inspector Morse I would point to the sticker on my door which says "No Callers unless by Appointment" and close the door.

Getting back to your question.

BT do register you for the TPS if you want but you can do this yourself anyway.

BT offer services such as Choose to refuse, Caller ID, Call barring etc. International Caller ID is being implemented.

You can purchase phones which bar calls.

There are call screeners you can purchase.

If it's a malicious call you can report it to the police.

But remember that just because a call comes through whith a number showing does not mean that the call does originate from that number.

Scammers can easily spoof a number so that it appears to be another number, so how do you actually stop it.

Its the same with spam emails. If they was coming from the address that was actually displayed it would be easy to get them stopped, but they continue to come through.

toekneem

(EASBF)

BusyRoly999
Message 78 of 104

PLEASE BE AWARE, VERY AWARE!

Just so all and any concerned need to know the variation on the telephone call.

An email from a Gill Elgin will say;

http://datinginchangsha.com/word.php?born=9e6zfqne1c4umbruz

elginark@btinternet.com

Roland

Sent from my iPhone

The reply email address goes to Gill Elgin [elginark@qxxp.jp]

SigningIn
Message 79 of 104

This (22 Feb 2016) afternoon I had a phone call from a lady (with a string Indian accent) purporting to be from BT Security. She indicated that my internet security might have been compromised, and asked an innocuous first question (was the light on my BT modem flashing).

At that stage I realised that she had not given me any information to indicate that she was genuine: She had asked for the BT account holder, rather than using my name, and had given me no information which genuine BT would have held. I asked her to provide some proof that she was a genuine caller, and said that I would call her back. She said that I was welcome to do so, and put the phone down. When I dialled 1571, to get the last number calling me, I was told that it was a "Number withheld" number.

Sadly, I realised that if she had been able to tell me my name, or other publicly available information, I might have revealed more information to her.

treborc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 104

Just had the phone call now and they gave me aq number as I wante dto check obviousy coming from oversea India. 004417935969 said it was local and BT engineer who wished to help me make my phone and computer secure.

This is the old Mirosoft scam