cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marilyn1
Message 81 of 104

Re: Potential scam phone call purporting to come from BT - be warned

Embarrassed to say that I almost got had by these scammers.  I believed them when they said they were from BT and that I had a problem with my internet connection (as I use BT) and stupidly let them into my computer.  Am not very computer-savvy and when they came in remotely and showed me a section full of warning Error signs I was suckered in.   Finally hung up on them when they managed to request a payment from my bank in amount of £2,255.00 which the bank texted me to authorise.....   They had told me that it was irrelevant that this showed as a monetary amount, that in fact it represented the Amount of Infection in my computer!!!  They gave service reference numbers and seemed so plausible.   Fortunately I have a very good computer technician who managed to foil them and reprogramme my computer.  The next day they were clearly frantic at not being able to get into my computer and called me FOUR times on my two different telephone lines, purporting to be either BT or Microsoft.   BE WARNED!!!

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 82 of 104

@Marilyn1 wrote:

Embarrassed to say that I almost got had by these scammers.  I believed them when they said they were from BT and that I had a problem with my internet connection (as I use BT) and stupidly let them into my computer.  Am not very computer-savvy and when they came in remotely and showed me a section full of warning Error signs I was suckered in.   Finally hung up on them when they managed to request a payment from my bank in amount of £2,255.00 which the bank texted me to authorise.....   They had told me that it was irrelevant that this showed as a monetary amount, that in fact it represented the Amount of Infection in my computer!!!  They gave service reference numbers and seemed so plausible.   Fortunately I have a very good computer technician who managed to foil them and reprogramme my computer.  The next day they were clearly frantic at not being able to get into my computer and called me FOUR times on my two different telephone lines, purporting to be either BT or Microsoft.   BE WARNED!!!

These callers target the elderly, and vulnerable. You know that by time of the call - usually in daytime working hours.

It's not just "Security" callers; it's also sales people.

There are many instances of these calls locally. Fortunately most are foiled by "I'll wait till my husband / son / daughter / granddaughter comes back".

There are call blocking devices which you can install yourself, or with the help of a technician. Among these there are devices with a large red button which you can press, and block the caller instantly.....if the number is known.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to fitting any of these yet. I just use traditional engineering language on scam callers.

caymanr26
Message 83 of 104

Just tried this one on with me - when they asked me to join into an online session I queried why and what i was doing this for, the woman got a little flustered and said its due to my BT open reach connection - I advised I have fibre optic Virgin media so nothing to do with BT in any way so she went very quiet, I asked if they were on the scam and she put the phone down, tried 1471 but witheld number - **bleep**

Message 84 of 104

My First Post ! 🙂

I seem to get at least 2 of these calls a week 😞 its either "BT Technical Support" or "Microsoft Technical Support"

When i asked the lady today (who only knew enough english to read the script on her computer screen), what her name was she paused for about 10 seconds and then came up with "Charlie Jones" 🙂

I played along being an IT professional myself just to see how plausable the story was and i have to say unless you know the correct ways to challenge these calls you could easily just do as they say. especially when most of us have broadband issues at some point they are bound to find somebody who just happens to be struggling with a connection issue that day and them BOOM they've got you.

Is there anything we can do to stop these calls and more importantly do these people have more of our personal details!

Im constantly reminding my family and friends to just hang up and call me if they have any IT issues.

Herald135
Beginner
Message 85 of 104

I just got a call, apparently from a BT representative, asking me to "fix" some "infection" on my internet line from my end.

Naturally I was dubious of this as the line was full of static and other artefacts, and even then if there were any security risks coming from my line BT would simply lock down the line server side and send a rep out or send a letter or at the very least an email.

Once I made this clear to the representative they attempted to inform the that it was because of the infection BT could not send an email and had to resort to calling each account individually.

Now even if that were the case it would be much simpler to simply lock down the server and send out letters than them to have a call centre call each individual and get them to try anythign from their end, even if such an act were possible.

Be on your guard against calls such as this and if noting else fails ask for their employee id number and inform them that you will call BT back and have it verified, this should send them packing.

What got mine going was the request to see some form of documentation first.

Be aware and don't trust everyone on what they say alone.

MartynFlook
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 104

Still having problems with BT and as ever I start getting the phone calls from India pretending to be the Windows Technical team.  This happens every time I have a problem and now will go on for the next week!  I once complained, but guess what, the put me through the team that I was complaining about and of course they would accept any knowledge of it (a quick look at my phone bill would have confirmed the calls).  Come on BT some of your staff are making money out of selling the phone numbers of BT customers with problems.  YOU LEAK DATA LIKE A SIEVE; GET A GRIP ON THIS ANNOYANCE.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 87 of 104

You should report it to the Information Commissioner. 

https://ico.org.uk/

See this thread and links for similar problems and BT's response

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-com-Community-feedback/Telephone-call-scam/td-p/1645404

FinW
Message 88 of 104

I received a call from these guys today wanting me to launch Teamviewer which I know will enable them to take control of my computer. They gave me the following number to call back which I strongly suspect is not the BT Technical department 0203 1296807.

This seems almost identical to the scam where they pretend to be 'Windows' technicians - I often receive these and try and keep them on the phone as long as I can just to jerk them off and waste their time.

Johnoo
Expert
Message 89 of 104

Security Phone Call from 0203 5969321

Just had a call from this number saying there was a security problem with my Internet connection.

He gave the above number from a London address.

Think it's a scam & I told him he was a scammer/terrorist.

But felt it correct to post this to perhaps warn others.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 90 of 104

Re: Security Phone Call from 0203 5969321

@Johnoo wrote:

Just had a call from this number saying there was a security problem with my Internet connection.

He gave the above number from a London address.

Think it's a scam & I told him he was a scammer/terrorist.

But felt it correct to post this to perhaps warn others.

I can't find that number on any of the nuisance call databases.

It's worth taking note of it and keeping it in your phone calls log. Next time you can ignore it. I do this anyway, and wait for callers to leave a message.

Use a rule if  - if they call frequently (3 times or more) then block the number. Otherwise the available number of blocked calls is filled. (30 in my case).