cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Quiet line test

Good morning,

Should the quiet line test (17070, option 2) work with providers other than BT on the Openreach network please ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Quiet line test

It’s a strange question to ask here , it works with BT as the provider , it should work with any other provider that uses ‘WLR’  arrangement with BT Wholesale ( in other words the dialtone generated within the ‘BT’ exchange) any other provider  ( that use LLU MPF , that’s an unbundled line )  you would need to ask them, they could provide something similar, or not provide anything at all, but it’s  nothing to do with BT Consumer 

Obviously with FTTP it’s irrelevant 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

@iniltouswrote:

It’s a strange question to ask here , it works with BT as the provider , it should work with any other provider that uses ‘WLR’  arrangement with BT Wholesale ( in other words the dialtone generated within the ‘BT’ exchange) any other provider  ( that use LLU MPF , that’s an unbundled line )  you would need to ask them, they could provide something similar, or not provide anything at all, but it’s  nothing to do with BT Consumer 

Obviously with FTTP it’s irrelevant 

Hi @iniltous ,

I was asking on behalf of my villagers but I can only post here as I am a BT Customer. 

Can you explain what ‘WLR’ and "LLU MPF" mean please.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

LLU is Local Loop Unbundling. MPF is the technology Openreach provide for this.

MPF – phone and broadband

MPF lets you deliver phone and broadband over copper cables. It gives a two-wire path from the network termination equipment (NTE) at your customer’s home or business to the exchange. It’s also called a “fully unbundled loop” or “classic local loop unbundling”.

At the exchange end the connection terminates at either a main distribution frame or jumper frame, where we can provide floor space, power and cooling. You can add connectivity options including internal or external tie cabling, and backhauling data from an exchange to a core network.

WLR is Wholesale Line Rental where Openreach equipment is used.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@pippincpwrote:

LLU is Local Loop Unbundling. MPF is the technology Openreach provide for this.

MPF – phone and broadband

MPF lets you deliver phone and broadband over copper cables. It gives a two-wire path from the network termination equipment (NTE) at your customer’s home or business to the exchange. It’s also called a “fully unbundled loop” or “classic local loop unbundling”.

At the exchange end the connection terminates at either a main distribution frame or jumper frame, where we can provide floor space, power and cooling. You can add connectivity options including internal or external tie cabling, and backhauling data from an exchange to a core network.

WLR is Wholesale Line Rental where Openreach equipment is used.

Hi @pippincp ,

So in a nut shell 17070 should work on the main providers such as Sky, Talk Talk, etc. then.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Sky and TALKTALK have their own variants of the 17070 Fast Test Facility.

TALKTALKS’s doesn’t do anything except read out the DN twice.

Skys is pretty much the same Openreaches 17070 as far as I can remember.

There is an override number though Openreach Engineers can use on LLU Lines to access the Openreach 17070 Service.

Also 17070 doesn’t work at all on FVA lines. Not sure if it works on VOiP lines, never actually tried it?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Starwire ,

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried google to see if I could get their numbers but no joy so far.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Starwire ,

I have managed to contact Sky & Talk Talk and both confirm they do not offer a quiet line test.

Another plus point for BT.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Pretty sure Sky’s does a quiet line test. Can’t remember if it’s the new one or that god awful American woman they used to use who had it.

The one that went, ‘Hi, I’m Zoe’. 

0 Ratings