Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Re: Do BT throttle connections ?

Go to solution

Openreach have throttled our 2 lines by 50% so below less than MGC. We made a complaint to BT and have got compensation of a years rental at £486 +bVAT for each line by complaint to BT. We will also be complaining to Openreach as it them that are doing the throttling along with the other 98 users on the 100 pair cable and fibre line.

11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Go to solution

@SlipSlidinAwa wrote:

Openreach have throttled our 2 lines by 50% so below less than MGC. We made a complaint to BT and have got compensation of a years rental at £486 +bVAT for each line by complaint to BT. We will also be complaining to Openreach as it them that are doing the throttling along with the other 98 users on the 100 pair cable and fibre line.

I assume you must be a BT Business user?

SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Openreach, BT’s network provider are currently below the MGC and are throttling our 2 lines by 50% as the 100 pair cable and fibre line in our exchange is at full capacity and another 100 pair cable and fibre line needs to be installed. BT have given us one years rental as compensation amounting to £486 + VAT per line. We would still require our full bandwidth hover it will be some time before Openreach install the additional capacity so we and the other 98 users will have to wait it out until Openreach deen to add the line capacity. See my other posts.

SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Yes we are a business user. Other users on our 100 pair cable are domestic and all users are  throttled by 50%. The 100 pair cable is full so the associated fibre cable does not have sufficient bandwidth to handle all 100 users at full capacity. I have been advised by the BT Engineer after he spoke to Openreach that all lines have been throttled by 50%.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@SlipSlidinAwa wrote:

Yes we are a business user. Other users on our 100 pair cable are domestic and all users are  throttled by 50%. The 100 pair cable is full so the associated fibre cable does not have sufficient bandwidth to handle all 100 users at full capacity. I have been advised by the BT Engineer after he spoke to Openreach that all lines have been throttled by 50%.

This the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I feel this is of interest to domestic users as they are affected in this instance by throttling on what is a small exchange with mixed business and domestic users on the only 100 pair cable and fibre line. In any case we have real evidence of 50% throttling so this is not a myth. BT has compensated us for throttling although they don’t like me to use the word preferring to euphemisms to disguise this practise which is actually being done by Openreach.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Openreach do not control the bandwidth, that is down to the amount of capacity that an ISP has purchased from their provider. All Openreach do is to provide the network capacity, as requested by their customers, the Service Providers.

In the case of BT Business and Residential connections, if there is congestion which is outside of the agreed SLA, then BT Wholesale will increase capacity to meet the SLA.

Cases of overloaded Virtual Paths have been reported by residential users of this forum, and have been dealt with by BT Wholesale.

SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

I have been informed by the BT Engineer after consultation with others including Openreach that as the 100 pair cable is full the bandwidth on the fibre line back to the main exchange in Fort William does not have sufficient capacity so has been throttled by 50%. Corpach exchange FTTC is in one of two green box’s on the wall adjacent to the telephone exchange. Our lines were rerouted from the exchange to the green box when FTTC was connected several years ago. We are 80m cable length from the green box. The other green box is a power supply and UPS. I’m told there is only one 100 pair cable and fibre line. This is a rural area with low density housing which so far has only needed one cable. We are told another 100 pair cable and fibre line will be installed but have no idea how long this will take. I hope that is now clear.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Which would appear to mean, as you have already been informed, that it is Openreach, a different company from BT Business, that is throttling the bandwidth, not BT.

SlipSlidinAwa
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I know as I explained several times.

Our contract is with BT and they have compensated us with £486 +VAT for each of our two lines. We only found the bandwidth had been throttled by 50% last Tuesday so BT have acted quickly resolving this yesterday although it will be sometime before Openreach put in another 100 pair cable and fibre line. BT have asked us to complain to Openreach and continue complaining to BT until this is resolved so that internally they are aware of the service quality.

Initial BT staff response was shoddy to say the least, however it improved when it was escalated. This may have been as I asked to progress the complaint so I could go to the ombudsmen if it was not resolved to my satisfaction and I would be in touch with the press.

I have posted details on Facebook so people affected locally are aware of the throttling. I will also be contacting our local paper, the BBC and others to make sure everyone aware that despite repeated denials Openreach and BT (through their contracts) are in fact throttling where there is insufficient installed capacity. I will also contact OFCOM.

By publicising this I am aiming to embarrass Openreach into resolving our particualr problem, and raising awareness that they do in fact throttle lines when there is insufficient capacity.

It is also worth noting that BT/Openreach did not have the courtesy to advise users that their capacity was being throttled by 50%. They wouldn’t would they as they won’t acknowledge throttling happens.

BT’s rapid response is confirmation of throttling and I bet they are demanding a rebate from Openreach !!