cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: No Master Socket

Go to solution

@Nick2507 

You have not specified who provides your phone and broadband service?

The engineer would be from Openreach not BT.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14

No Master Socket

Go to solution

Hi guys, recently called an engineer out due to slow speeds in my flat and after checking the lines he reported all were fine. However, he also reported that the socket next to my front door was indeed only an extension socket. The socket I have had my router connected to the whole time which may have been causing bridge tap issues and the reduced speeds. I have quite a few extension sockets around the flat and want to locate the master socket to plug into the test. However there seems to be no master socket, only extension sockets that have single ports with a metal face plate which I have unscrewed to find no test ports behind. I managed to locate the network box within the airing cupboard with several Ethernet cat5e leads connecting to 5 ports numbered 1,2,3,4, and one named Hall. My question is can I disconnect all other extension sockets minus the one used for my router to minimise bridge tap issues which could potentially be lowering speeds? No other extension sockets are in use and no phone is connected, however I have tried a phone previously and experienced noise and crackling on the line. I also have a filter connected to the socket in use with router. Any help appreciated. Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 2 of 14

Go to solution

That sounds like star wiring which is a killer for FTTC. Any chance of a pic of the setup of the network box and ports?

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, pic of the box/connections below.  

86D87F62-3A97-4BCC-AC3F-BE2A7457E99A.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

There has to be an NTE prior to that patch panel, it could be external and will look like this.

openreach-socket.jpg

Openreach have to have a demarcation point for the service they supply and that patch panel isn't it so there has to be an NTE before it otherwise they are responsible for the internal wiring which will never happen.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@Starwire  I know you are on FTTP now but have you any thoughts on this?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

That pic of the box is a TV distribution system for your block of flats

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Nick2507 

Who provides your phone and broadband connection?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Apologies for the incorrect picture. I managed to locate the box you described in a locked cupboard just outside of my front door! Pics below. Thanks

2B05FE64-805D-4177-8BB1-8002CEA300EB.jpeg

5F8EC9DA-1AC2-4DE2-9A94-EC4899E317F2.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

That’s an External NTE. Openreach started using them years ago. They were supposed to make life easier regarding access to people’s properties.

Then FTTC came along and they soon realised they caused no end of issues with VDSL so they stopped using them.

Whats now supposed to happen if an Engineer comes across one is remove the NTE Component, crimp the External and Internal Lead In’s together and convert the first LJU it goes to into the NTE and or just run a new lead in to wherever they want to fit a new Internal type NTE5.

0 Ratings