cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: Retrieve old landline number

Hi Keith, is it possible to send you a private message? I've read a number of your forum posts about trying to retrieve an old number but I haven't seen any of who have come back and confirmed if it worked after your advice. I think my circumstances fit the scenario you describe (line was originally BT Retail, it's at the same address etc) but I want to better understand how to navigate BT as when I called them the call centre told me it was a flat out 'no' (they didn't ask any details)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@PEJ 

Please do not send an private messages, as I do not work for BT. Thanks.

You would have to become a BT Retail customer, to get more advice on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

No worries, thanks for moving to a more appropriate spot. I'm all set to become a BT Retail customer but when I called to discuss how I would subsequently go about retrieving the old number once signed up, they said it was not possible - so before committing to BT (as that is the only reason why I will be joining them), I was after some guidance about exactly how to go about things once I'm a BT customer - as I get the impression many of the frontline sales staff don't know this is possible?

To confirm:

The address is the same as when it the initial line was taken out (and thus I assume still attached to the same exchange)

The timeline is - 1989 line taken out and number provided; 2012 service moved to Talk Talk and number carried over; 2019 service move to Sky but number lost in this move; 2020 Service moved to Talk Talk but no longer with original number; 2021 - about to sign up to BT and am hoping old number can be reinstated once this happens.

From looking at the previous forum posts on this topic, it sounds like it should be possible but, as mentioned before, would appreciate some guidance on how best to navigate/guide BT to help me get what I need once I'm a retail customer again.

Really appreciate the time and assistance.

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You would need to move your service to BT retail. You would initially be given a new number.

Once the service is active, you can then request a renumber back to your original number.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Have you tried phoning the number to ensure not been allocated to someone else? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Yes, sorry should have added that - the number hasn’t been allocated to anyone else.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks Keith - will try this and report back if successful.
0 Ratings