cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Retrieve old landline number

Hi

My Grandparents recently moved flats within the same sheltered accommodation (although a different postcode). They were with Sky and when they moved their account over Sky issued them with a new landline number and have said that they cannot retrieve their old one. The original number was issued by BT and they have successfully had it over across 3 different addresses over the years. My Grandparents have had this number for over 40 years and it is really important that they can keep it. They are happy to move back to BT if needed but I just wanted to make sure it's possible to get it back given that they've moved address. I've been round in circles and spoken to Sky, BT and Openreach all of who have told told me different things. We are now in a position where they have a live account with Sky and a new number (as of last week). Can anyone help please?

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Retrieve old landline number

@Jennie23 

As this is a BT Retail customer forum, and your Grandparents are Sky customers, its not going to be possible to give any assistance with this, unless they become a BT Retail customer.

Provided the flat is still connected to the same BT Exchange building as the property they were living in when BT first issued them with the number, then it would normally be possible to get the number back, once their line is active with BT Retail. Its never 100% guaranteed.

They would be issued with a new number to start with, and then they would need to request a renumber back to their original number.

If they decide to move back to BT Retail, once they have a working BT Retail phone number, then assistance can be offered on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi

How do I find out if it the same BT Exchange Building? They live in the same area with the same area code. Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@Jennie23 wrote:

Hi

How do I find out if it the same BT Exchange Building? They live in the same area with the same area code. Thanks 

Its not always  easy.

If you know their old address where the phone number was first issued, then enter it into the address checker on this form.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It will tell you which cabinet and which exchange name they were connected to.

Then repeat the process for their new address, and see if the exchange name is the same.

If it is, then there should normally be no problem in getting their number back.

Please do not post any address details here, but just the name of the exchanges.

0 Ratings