cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Retro sweets...

Wham Bars

and Milky Ways the way they used to be......

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 23

@StuartH wrote:

Wham Bars

and Milky Ways the way they used to be......

Yea ! I can remember Wagon wheels when they were huuuge.

Fings aint wot they used to be.

Community Manager - Retired
Message 13 of 23

oh rainbow drops..they were good! 🙂  Maybe the fact they were 10p a bag was an added bonus.. 🙂

this is a bit later...but does anyone remember a bag of sweets called vice versa's?  They were kinda like minstrels but a mix of white and dark chocolate... v yummy!

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

Ocean
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 23

Midget Gems :smileyhappy:

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
Chris1963
Beginner
Message 15 of 23

I used to like spangles in the 70's. They were square hard boiled sweets in different flavoures.

ronin22
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 23

the good old days-

big gob stoppers-cough candy-lumps of real liquorice-spanish wood-peanut crackle-fudge-winter mixture-honeycomb-etc. and not a e number among them, and many made by mum at home. :smileyhappy:

ronin22

In the end we will all be star dust.
Then start all over again.
Shaun84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

Sherbert dips, used to throw away the liquorice and tip the whole thing in my mouth. I haven't seen those sweet cigarettes in years either, probably banned now.

Chris1963
Beginner
Message 18 of 23

sweet cigarettes are still available, but now they don't have the red end are called "Candy Sticks".

They also used to bring out chocolate smokers sets at christmas. These consisted of a pipe, cigars , a lighter and other things all made out of chocolate.

They must have wanted us all to take up smoking in those days.

wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 23

Most of the sweets mentioned in this thread can still be bought at one of the old fashioned sweet shops that most shopping malls seem to have. Not sure whether they are the same sweets though or just have the same name.

Somebody mentioned Spangles - my favourite variety was the acid drops - if you ate too many too quickly they made your tongue sore!  But what about Horlicks tablets and Victory V lozenges? Don't see those any more.

But the real oldies were not quite sweets but I used to like a little bag of sugar and a rhubarb stick.  And I can recall mixing cocoa powder with sugar and putting that in a paper bag to dip my finger into.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 23

Pepermint pipe,barley twist and what was that stick with chocolate down through  the middle like a chocolate eclair ?

I can remember when chocolate,banana and milk iced lollies first came out :smileysad: