Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
martinrabson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Running a tor relay over BT Infinity

Does anyone know about BT Terms Of Service regarding the running of a 'tor' relay or scarily an exit node, can't find anything mentioned.

I would use the default exit policy with some further restriction I guess until I get to know how it all works. I know some people think it is mad to even consider it, but I believe there is a moral imperative to try and help those in countries with autocratic governments, that are choking freedom of speech or even enquiery and research.

Ta

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Running a tor relay over BT Infinity

Bumping this because I would also like clarification on the terms of service in this area.

Yes, running a Tor exit is crazy as you would become the first point of call for authorities when illegal activities are traced back to your IP address and ultimately you. Tor exits are scarce for this reason, they are also probably the most important aspect of the Tor network. You can get more help with running them effectively from the Tor blog here: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment.

Freedom of speech and freedom of information internationally are both very important issues. Running a Tor exit is a vital part of helping citizens of opressed nations overcome barriers placed on their freedoms. Having said that, running a bridge is equally as helpful as this assists in masking the origin of the requests and illegal activities would not be traced back to you, but to whoever is running the exit for that particular connection.

BT need to understand that this is a social political issue and no different from staging a protest on the streets, except that this takes matters even further by directly providing a viable, real and effective solution that actually benefits people. Even though the Tor system is open to abuse, I believe the positives vastly outweigh the negatives and that you cannot and should not be held responsible for any illegal activity relating to running a Tor exit.

ItsChip
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Greetings from the future!

I feel bad ressurecting ancient posts, but I'd love to hear an answer from someone who knows

┌──────────────────────────────────────┐
    To say thanks for this post, please click the star on the left
   If not, please accept my apologies, hope I can help next time
└──────────────────────────────────────┘
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Poster posted once 2yrs ago and never returned looks like never got reply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Shadd
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

You need to do a lot of research on this before doing it, if you do your research properly you'll probably not do it in the end. You'll be added to many ban lists as tor ip's are regually collected and added to IP ban lists. These lists are then used by companys and sites all over the net to block you.  

Don't think that emailing the people that run these block lists and saying I'm ok will get you removed it wont as your a tor exit node your on ban list as tor is used a lot by the bad guys.

So if this is your main connection you may want to think again and thats not to mention the people that may try to take control of your node for other reasons none of which are for good.

If your insistant on doing it I would use an old computer and get a seperate internet connection that way if things get out of hand you can just pull the plug make sure you get a pay monthly agreement or you could be stuffed for a year.

Use programmes like wireshark and snort to monitor it there are a lot of good free programmes out there that can help you identify problems.

ItsChip
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Tor Relay/Exit Nodes

I spoke to someone from Level 1 tech support earlier today. They confirmed BT did have a policy regarding Tor nodes, however he failed to find it on his system.

I know it's very very discouraged to run exit nodes on home connections, but I do want to know what BT has to say about it. I know the protocol in the US and the laws protecting exit node operators, not sure about their UK equivilent or BT's standpoint on using its network for this purpose.

What do BT say about this? Which UK laws protect exit node operators?

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Re: Tor Relay/Exit Nodes

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go directly to BT and although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

I'm not aware of any law that relates to the usage of Tor.  Given that Tor is often used for concealing illegal activities, I would expect anyone operating a Tor node to come to the attention of the security services in the UK.

I can find no trace of a published BT policy on Tor, and I can't think why they would want to publish one.

Personally, I would avoid it.  http://www.zdnet.com/austrian-man-raided-for-operating-tor-exit-node-7000008133/

ItsChip
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

It's against the law in Austria, that's why that guy was raided.

Someone on the tor-relays mailing list just mentioned something about 'what happened to a UK node operator', still awaiting a response to see what happened.

Message 10 of 13

Guys,

I've moved this thread over to the lounge as it's not a product/service that BT offer and this is more of a general discussion.

All the best,

Robbie