cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1 of 3

Scam Windows 10 upgrade email containing ransomeware

Seen on the Kitz forum, a scam email puporting to come from Microsoft with a link to Windows 10 upgrade that contains ransomeware.  Link here

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Scam Windows 10 upgrade email containing ransomeware

@licquorice wrote:

Seen on the Kitz forum, a scam email puporting to come from Microsoft with a link to Windows 10 upgrade that contains ransomeware.  Link here

Thanks.

Haven't opened the link.

There are many vulnerable people in this area, and I always insist  that they use an email client. It gives them more of a chance to detect fraudulent mails.

People with visual impairements are most at risk.

Slightly off topic.

Re doorstep callers:- Put a sticker in your doorway.

I had an agressive charity caller who claimed he couldn't see it.

At the time I couldn't see it. "I can't see you either!". Total silence.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Scam Windows 10 upgrade email containing ransomeware

@licquorice wrote:

Have just read the article about the scam on the BT.com homepage.

For existing Windows 10 users, there's a potential problem if you use a laptop with touchpad. It's system bug (there's problem with the touchpad driver).

Every time you shut down, or reboot, the touchpad and mouse settings revert to default.

Unfortunately, "default" settings are troublesome - namely the "tap" feature, where before you know it you have opened a link by just hovering over it.

You can reset the touchpad settings each time you reboot, but it's better to use a mouse. This reduces the risk of inadvertently opening something up, but the risk is still there, as the touchpad in it's present driver state, is still active.

Beware.