cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Griffsky
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Scam or not

Hi everyone - I am looking for some reassurance I havent just been scammed and the person I spoke to just needs some custonmer service training.

Last week a message was left on my telephone from a BT engineer asking me to call 08001114567 as my broadband was slow.  I received another call next day stating the same.  Today my grandson commented that my broadband is quite slow compared to when I was with sky just a few weeks ago.  I rang the number above and explained everything and gave my name and DOB.  I then become suspicious (mainly because the person who answered sounded remarkably like the BT engineer that left the message).  I entered the telephone number above into a search and came up with loads of scams relating to this number.

The BT customer advisor called back and so I asked him to prove he was from BT and he replied 'you called me' I again asked for proof he was an actual BT employee and he replied 'I am the person you called'.  I asked if he ciuld guve me my account number as proof he was working for BT. he refused, I asked for his name, he refused.  He did say he could transfer me to his manager to which I agreed but hen he said 'actually no I am not going to bother' at whihc point i replied 'I bet your not' and hung up.

Is this a scam or just poor customer service.  We are constantly being reminded of scam calls and e-mails so I am not sure why the BT customer service person wasnt more sympathetic if genuine - help adivive greatfully accpted

Kay

9 REPLIES 9
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Scam or not

I would say a scam.  From what I can gather it's hard enough to solicit actual help from the Indian call centre, much less have them volunteering assistance out of the blue.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

BT would not make an unsolicited call to your number to tell you that you had slow broadband. 

If you get any calls from what ever source that has not been initiated by you asking for personal details it is almost certainly a scam of some sort and you should hang up.

If you have doubts that any call was genuine you should contact the calling company.Do not use any number supplied by the caller. Only call them  on a number that you have obtained from their website or directory enquires. If it is a bank you will get their number from your bank card. 

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Definitely a scam, as already advised, and there is anecdotal evidence of suspicious activity involving some overseas call centres. 0800 111 4567 is frequently quoted by scammers (hence the many references to be found online) but it is a genuine BT helpdesk number, so it's difficult to see how you could get to a specific individual by calling it from scratch. I just tried it and the robot answered as usual, asking for various numbers to be pressed for this, that and the other.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

I can confirm that 0800 111 4567 is a genuine number to contact BT.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

It could be that scammers are spoofing the number.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340 wrote:

It could be that scammers are spoofing the number.

Yes, but the OP said she rang the number herself and thought she through to the scammer. That's what puzzled me.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

It is most likely that the first call that left the message on the answer machine reporting the slow broadband was a scammer using a spoofed genuine number.

When the OP subsequently called the number he would be connected to the genuine BT call desk at which point because of his questioning of the CS agent and requesting that the CS agent provide account details etc the CS agent decided to terminate the call.  

In any event the advice about anybody purporting to be BT making unsolicited calls about slow broadband speeds still stands. Do not give them any personal information and do not allo them to access your computer.

quiltsman
Message 9 of 10

For the past two weeks I keep getting calls from someone saying they are from BT security dept. She has an Indian/Pakistani sounding accent. She says that my interent is virus infected and if I go onto the internet she will help me get rid of this. I did a call trace to be informed that, the call came from a service that does not have a traceable No. I have said "No  thank you" and put my phone down. She immediatly called me back, and in a loud voice demanded to know why I put the phone down. She will not give me a contact No. When I start to ask her more questions she hangs up.

Is there any way of tracing where these calls are coming from. I have told her on several occasionns NOT to call my number again, to no avail.

This has got to be a scam for everybody to watch out for!!

Should I phone the 0800 No as I am not a BT customer?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

These calls are NOT from BT. Do not enter into any conversation with the caller. Don't even say no thank you, just hang up.