cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Securing broadband before it can get hacked

I have a stalker who clones my devices and hacks my accounts. So I quit  my previous provider and had to sell devices and now can only use devices outdoors. He has malware in nearby neighbouring devices/IoT and attacks via bluetooth, wifi and/or NFC. I've tried over and over to escape the hacking but ive gone through nearly thirty smartphones.

I dont want to argue back and forth to prove to anyone its true.

i just want to know, this:

i want to ONLY use ethernet wired never wifi nor bluetooth nor nfc.

but i am scared. because if i pay money and join BT then the instant i power on the router it will be attacked and hacked with malware. (i am constantly being scanned 24/7/365 it seems since i am always attacked in seconds).

how on earth can i even switch it on and prevent this.

online (google) seems to be saying that hackers have lists of the default router passwords and wifi passwords.

i want to switch wifi off. but also this has not prevented neither iphones nor android phones from being attacked. wifi can be switched off 'officially' yet somehow the devices still get attacked.

i want to buy draytek vigor 330 or 166 because these routers have zero wifi capability. but again, surely the instant i power on the BT router, even if i connect the draytek, its likely too late. as soon as malware is on bt router i'm screwed.

i do actually need to move home.

but i prefer to not or to have use of ethernet while i save up rent in advance, deposit etc.

please don't reply if you are going to tell me its not true, only reply if you can help with my problem. thank you. bt told me i cannot buy ethernet only but i must buy with wifi and then switch it off with the easily well known and guessed default passwords etc that are listed on darkweb etc

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Securing broadband before it can get hacked

I find your entire post incredulous however if you believe that its happening to you that is your prerogative.

If you want to turn off the wifi prior to connecting to the Internet you can do it.

When you receive your BT Smarthub do not connect it to the Internet. Just use an Ethernet cable to connect to a PC or Laptop.

Power on the Smarthub and you can then enter the Smarthub settings which will allow you to turn off the wifi and change the Smarthubs Admin password and wireless password should you want to.

Once you have done that you can then connect the BT Smarthub with its new Admin password and the wifi turned off to the Internet.

See links

How do I turn wi-fi on and off on the BT Hub? | BT Help

How can I set up or change the admin password on my BT Hub? | BT Help

How do I change the wi-fi password on my BT Hub | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

If you really do believe that this is happening then the answer is so simple that I'm surprised you haven't already thought of it, just take your new router somewhere away from home (work, friend or relatives place) and disable the wireless there

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Here's something to watch out for.

My friend is a postman and a lot of people place their modem/router in the front window with the Network name, wireless password and admin password all on public display. He says he can see several on his route.

A suspect a lot of users never change the network name or the password.

Looking at the local names around here I would say network names are hardly every changed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Each BT router comes with a unique password and wireless key, simply change it . turn it off as you connect (should be the first thing you do).

Out of interest how do you know you are being hacked ? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

More importantly, if you believe this is happening to you have you reported it to the police? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

There is another way,

You say you only want to connect via ethernet and have no wireless ?  Simply do as you suggested in your own post and connect via a modem only like the Draytek you mentioned, they come with a firewall built in too !

Then you can set up your password wireless free, simply then don't use the BTHub at all and if you require extra ethernet connections get an unmanaged switcher they are cheap and reliable.

0 Ratings