cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Littlelou
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Shockingly low broadband

Hi moving to Innsworth in Gloucestershire, GL3 1BX, and im shocked at the absurd broadband speed approx 1mbps 😱 after chatting with residents this appalling speed has been the norm for years and locals have given up trying to get it sorted. Our cabinet is at Twigworth and there is no mention of upgrades or fibre in the area, i feel this is because we are housed army properties and it seems we get treated like 2nd class citizens when in this area.
Please advise on how in the modern world it is acceptable to have less than 1mbps internet, and no intention on improving this.
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Shockingly low broadband

Welcome to this BT Retail forum. @Littlelou 

Its Openreach that provide the external network not BT Retail.

This page should help https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

The other alternative would be https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk/

This thread may help https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Experiences-with-Openreach-Community-Fibre-Partnership-for-FT...

Littlelou
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

The issue us we are not getting fibre, been promised for years and years just not happening. So we have to use broadband, now the cabinet we use provides some properties less than a mile away with really good internet 20mbps, now that same cabinet provides us in our area with less than 1mbps, why is that? How can that same cabinet provide different levels of broadband?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

ADSL broadband comes from the exchange, not the cabinet.

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

Littlelou
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

In our area we are all mobile broadband as land broadband isnt working 0.7 mbps all the companies have quoted 1-3 mbps, again go a mile up road to a different postcode but the same cabinet it provides 20mbps.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

if you are talking about adsl broadband and not fibre then it is distance form the exchange that limits your speed not the distance form the cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@Littlelou wrote:
In our area we are all mobile broadband as land broadband isnt working 0.7 mbps all the companies have quoted 1-3 mbps, again go a mile up road to a different postcode but the same cabinet it provides 20mbps.

Do you have a working phone line with BT Retail?

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

People don't generally use sites when they don't need them, at least that's what I find so I don't often use this site - in fact I haven't used it for at least a couple of years but you might find it useful.  I saw your post and don't like the idea od our squaddies not "treated proper" especially in terms of essential services such as communications. 

Anyway at the risk of being told off for posting a link use the thinkbroadband site for comparisons, although there aren't many in there for your area at the moment which (as I said before) would mean folks are either happy or happy to understand they can't do much about their situation. 

This is the result for your geographical area (not by postcode but by map)  https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=2&election=1#15/51.9018/-2.2195/test/exchanges/ using two criteria, speed and exchange 

Mobile broadband is fine as long as you aren't going to be frying your heads, your children's head, your friends and neighbours heads with 5G frequency use.  It does fry heads, bodies, organs (all organs) and I will not be happy if it comes to my area on my street furniture or anywhere near me.  In fact my neighbours and local councillor have bought catapults just in case they try it.

Someone in your area is getting good throughput as can be seen on the test results (well not spectacular admittedly but not bad)

Can't you guys get together and go to your pursar or accomodation officer and ask that landlines with good throughput are installed ? Hpw many are there of you who could take advantage of good broadband (you didn't say if you were in married quarters... something else which might help?)

Just nag and nag and nag and you tell them you HAVE to have something approaching decent.  You are protecting us from foreign harm after all. 

Good luck 

near Innsworth think broadband check.jpg

Iangla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

If there are a number of people impacted in the area I could suggest the government gigabit broadband voucher scheme. Everyone in your area can claim £500 as an individual, or £2500 as a business towards the cost of the infrastructure to get you fibre services in the area.

https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14