cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 47

Sky Sports is no longer guaranteed on BT's youview

Ofcom were to re-evaluate what's known as a "wholesale must-offer" between Sky and BT. Its final decision, announced today, means that Sky is no longer forced to offer its flagship sports channels, Sky Sports 1 and 2, at a discount to BT. Today's decision by Ofcom means that BT and Sky will now need to agree a new price on their own.  Sky could refuse to lease its sports channels to BT.

46 REPLIES 46
ney
Expert
Message 2 of 47

Re: Sky Sports is no longer guaranteed on BT's youview

Although I dont have the Sky Sports 1 or 2 bolt ons with BT and dont want it. It seems to me that Sky are to get there own way yet again.

Darren

jam2000
Expert
Message 3 of 47

Yes I agree, seems like Sky can get away with what ever they want.

Yet BT have to provide access to their DSL and Fibre networks to Sky on fair terms.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 47

The Ofcom statement can be read (109 pages)  at

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/wholesale-must-offer/statement/review_of_wmo...

section 7 page 78

Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 47

A correct decision from ofcom, if BT don't let sky wholesale BT sport, why should BT be allowed to wholesale sky sports?

This has nothing to do with fibre networks etc, its about TV(sports) only.
jam2000
Expert
Message 6 of 47

Keith75, incorrect decision, this means Sky can pull their channels or also charge what they want. BT provide their sports channels on the Sky platform. Sky have too much of a monopoly over their channels and Ofcom need to control them which they aren't doing. It has everything to do with fibre networks, as BT have to provide Sky access and at a fair price.
Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 47

I say correct, you say incorrect, we will have to agree to disagree.
It was inevitable once BT took on sky with their own sports channels and winning sports rights, that sky would fight back, they have to.
I expect sky will pull sky sports 1 and 2 off BT as soon as they can. At the very least they will charge a fortune to keep them on.
Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 47

Unless of course BT and sky do some sort of deal involving amc and BT sport UHD (new sky box), maybe sky one or more of their sports channels.
Or maybe i am being too optimistic? Sky have been very petty in the past (still are)
ney
Expert
Message 9 of 47

I fully agree with what Jam2000 says.
Thats why at times I like to see other companies trying to take Sky on.
Also why would BT do a deal with Sky involving AMC and BT Sports. For Sky don't let any other TV provider have Sky Atlantic. So BT should keep AMC exclusively to them for the time being.

Darren

layman72
Contributor
Message 10 of 47

This all stems from Sky taking broadband customers from BT. If this had not happened then BT would never have needed to invest in sporting rights to try and keep hold of brodband customers. It knows if it wholesales BT Sport to Sky that Sky could subsidise it and use it to steal customers from BT.

Sky is free to park its tanks on BT's lawn but BT cannot park its on Sky's. The end result is that consumers lose out. They have to take on two subscriptions at ever increasing cost to watch football whilst Sky and BT squabble amongst themselves. Sky wants BT Openreach to be sold off from BT to promote competition but wants to control competiton itself in PL football. BT argues the opposite.

I am coming round to the Virgin Media's view that the selling of Premier League football rights is a joke. It creates big money for the football clubs and Sky but hammers consumers. Sky would be toast without its Premier League football rights. Access is also an important part of competiton for TV and broadband. Without it you can't compete as well.

For what it's worth I don't think BT Youview will lose SS1 and SS2 but the price will probably go up. BT has already agreed a commercial deal for the HD versions of these channels at a higher price than SD and I think Sky knows that it would be foolish to push things too far.