cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Switching from Virgin Media

Go to solution

Seriously considering joining BT Fibre 2 from Virgin for broadband and phone but not for TV.  I can get the TV I want from free to air with NowTV for catchup and anything else I might want.  The saving would more than cover the TV licence fee I now have to pay but has anyone got any warnings or previous bad experience I should know about?  I really don't want a service break or other problems from doing this.

20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Switching from Virgin Media

Go to solution

@Earthling 

The two networks are totally different, so you are likely to see a break in service during any changeover. It may be best to wait until you have a date when your BT Retail service is active, before you cancel your VM service.

Normally, if both providers used the Openreach network, then you would contact BT, and they would inform your old provider, so that the changeover dates are the same.

Because VM do not use Openreach, then this process does not work.

As far as service levels are concerned, BT Retail do not suffer any more issues than any other provider that uses the Openreach network. If you can get FTTP (Direct Fibre) then that tends to be more reliable than FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

There is plenty of support on this forum, once you are a BT Retail customer.

You still have to pay your TV licence fee for both providers.

Guru
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

@Earthlingwrote:

The saving would more than cover the TV licence fee I now have to pay

You still need a TV license when using NowTV, TV license website states :

If you watch TV programmes live on any online TV service, including Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, ITV Hub or All 4, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. You don't need a TV Licence if you only ever use online services to watch on demand or catch up programmes, except if you're watching BBC programmes on iPlayer.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Yes, understand that.  It's that as I have been getting a free licence I now have to pay £157.50 p.a. but  I can save more than that with the 'riight for me' contract with BT.  But of course I may be able to twist VM's arm now I have a viable alternative.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I was on Virgin 200Mb and had no choice but to switch as working from home (or gaming for the kids) was impossible due to congestion in my area. On BT Fibre 2 with a Huawei modem and ASUS router and honestly haven't had any problems to date (plus £5 monthly discount on my BT mobile bill). Yes downloading large files takes a bit longer, but not like I'm going anywhere nowadays...

Not selling BT in particular as all providers of FTTC use the same infrastructure so need to find what works best for you. What I personally feel is that Virgin got too big and somewhere along the way stopped caring whether someone stays with them or not. After 14 years with them, only thing they could offer was a £7 loyalty discount...new customers paid less.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Good to know your transfer went well.  Obviously I would prefer to avoid the disruption of switching if poss, but if VM really don't care then I'm ready to make the switch.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

I had both running for testing purposes during the 14-day cooling off period with BT. Only ever been with Virgin and wasn't so sure about FTTC. At the moment, 4 months in, no regrets with FTTC, however read the forums about Dynamic Line Management, as this was not something I encountered with Virgin. Kitz forums are also good for FTTC newbies.

Who knows, Virgin might also come back with a good offer.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Main uncertainty now is what will actually happen when my FTTC is connected.  At present I have VM cabling on the side and front of the house and running down the border 100' to the connection point by the footpath.  I'm assuming BT will also have to do something similar, leaving me to arrange for removal of the VM cabling.  Is that about right?  Also, the VM cabling is inside the house, connecting my phone point and VM router.  Will BT replace that too?  Reading the offer it sounds as if they just post a hub to you and the rest is up to you, but that is no good to me of course.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

@Earthling 

Are you sure there is not already an Openreach connection to the property, it would be unusual if there was not?

As for the old VM cabling, if you wanted it removed, then I would expect you would have to do it yourself, or ask VM to remove it.

Our next door neighbour had VM cabling left over from the last owner, and it was a right mess, so I helped him remove it, as there was a standard phone cable existing from when the houses were built, 40 years ago.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Check where your overhead telephone line (not the Virgin underground telephone line) enters the house as that is usually where the Openreach master socket is located. This might not necessarily be where you want your modem/router placed/connected. The Openreach engineer will not touch any VM cabling outdoors/indoors and will probably replace the telephone master socket to a newer version and is to unlikely move the master socket to a location that better suits you.

My understanding is that the best signal/speeds on FTTC are when the modem/router is connected to the master socket. The BT hub is simple to connect and configure (I don't use it).