cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Switching from Virgin Media

Go to solution

"Are you sure there is not already an Openreach connection to the property, it would be unusual if there was not?"

Oooh, you have just thrown a whole new light on this question.  It hadn't occurred to me that the final connection from the cabinet to the house mighty be via the old BT phone wiring which hasn't been used in years and which might well need some attention.  However there is a pole in my garden and OpenReach recently replaced it even though I have no BT connection or account.  I'm thinking it might b a good idea to have a BT/VM overlap period to enable any wiring issues to be sorted before I go live with BT.  Thank you!

Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

@Ipswich  mmm, this isn't looking like such a good idea suddenly 😔  The old master socket is in the worst possible place and I doubt the old internal extension wiring is up to the job for Fibre 2.  It was last used with a Tiscali ADSL connection years ago.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@Earthling wrote:

"Are you sure there is not already an Openreach connection to the property, it would be unusual if there was not?"

Oooh, you have just thrown a whole new light on this question.  It hadn't occurred to me that the final connection from the cabinet to the house mighty be via the old BT phone wiring which hasn't been used in years and which might well need some attention.  However there is a pole in my garden and OpenReach recently replaced it even though I have no BT connection or account.  I'm thinking it might b a good idea to have a BT/VM overlap period to enable any wiring issues to be sorted before I go live with BT.  Thank you!

Then there is a good chance that the route still exists, although the dropwire may need renewing, but that`s not a major problem.

I expect somewhere in the house, there is still an Openreach master socket.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Openreach can move the master socket for a price (think it's £80), however I followed the tutorial below and did it myself before the Openreach engineer came by (apparently not supposed to do it yourself). If they will be replacing the down wire, then possibly they could put in a new master socket where you want it. I had a sufficient length of down wire to move mine. Some wall drilling involved, but not too complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfHMsP6IsE&ab_channel=MyMateVINCE 

Alternatively, a long telephone cable from the master socket to where you have your modem/router.

Either way good luck.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I now have a good view of how it all might work in my situation.  I'm not going to try and get a better deal from VM, mainly because the prospect of being able to remove this ugly mess of VM wires from this otherwise rather elegant house is irresistable.  Just gotta hope it all works satisfactorily despite the wiring compromises I'm going to have to make. 😔

Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

I have placed my order now and have 14 days to amend or cancel should I want to.  Couple of further questions if I may

- I have ordered Complete WiFi at £7 month for 24 months, mainly because I need it for NowTV.  Any views on this?  I know there are many WiFi extenders available at less cost but mainly for my wife's sake I need to keep things simple so a 100% compatible solution looks attractive.

- Bit concerned at the possibility of losing my home phone number because it's Virgin I'm leaving.  Anyone have experience of handling this problem?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

@Earthling wrote:

- Bit concerned at the possibility of losing my home phone number because it's Virgin I'm leaving.  Anyone have experience of handling this problem?

Read this ongoing thread and decide whether you really want to keep your number. Remember, they are two separate phone networks.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Porting-LL-number-form-Virgin-to-BT-3-weeks-and-not-yet-solved/...

Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you Keith - have to see what happens on/after Nov 26, the day my VM services will be terminated.  Wife doesn't want any change but may have to live with it 😉

Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Just an update for those interested.  My BT gear arrived 8 Nov and OpenReach got me set up and running in an hour or so on the appointed day, 10 Nov.  Couldn't have gone better and everything is working just as it should, aided by the BT app, so very pleased.  My Virgin services will be turned off 26 Nov so it only remains to be seen whether I can retrieve my landline number afterwards.  My Virgin cable was supposed to deliver 100 Mbps but mine ran about 50+.  My BT HTTC Fibre 2 is running at 70 and my laptop is getting about 36 compared with about 20 with the Virgin router.  No regrets at all and I can now get the unsightly mess of Virgin cable removed from the outside of this house.  Yippee!!

Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Sounds like everything went to plan @Earthling. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers

David