cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

TV Aerial lines

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Wonder if you could possibly help. Myself and partner are moving in to our house we purchased on the 30th of April, we haven't decided if we are going with SKY or BT. The homeowner was with sky up until a few days ago by the looks of it. New cables are now running from the BT ariel from the roof to the bedroom and living room, instead of dropping them to the rear of the property and running them through the passage between the 2 houses (mid-terrace) it looks like the engineer who installed them had dropped them from the front and cables are running down the slate roof and it looks awful. My question is if we decide to stay with BT would we be able to contact BT to fix these cabled as it looks atrocious and clearly the contractor just did that out of quickness  better still even if we don't decide to stay with BT would they come out and fix these cables?

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: TV Aerial lines

Go to solution

@simk6 

Its Openreach not BT Retail or Sky that run the cables.

Whichever provider you use, would have to arrange with Openreach, to run the external cable to your preferred location.

As this is a BT Retail customer forum, there is nothing else that can be suggested, as you are not a customer.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the information regarding that, I'll take it up with openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@simk6 wrote:

Thanks for the information regarding that, I'll take it up with Openreach.

Openreach will not be interested until they receive a order from a service provider.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Why do you think the aerial is anything to do with BT ?,  there is no such thing as a ‘BT aerial’, and neither BT nor Openreach install aerials, if the address has an aerial, but you don’t like the way a previous occupant had the aerial installed , (the previous occupant presumably was OK with this installation ) , then you would have to pay yourself to get it changed ( or do it yourself).

Although Its possible that it was fitted by an aerial installer , and subsidised by BT ,  because they ordered BTTV ( there is an option to have an aerial installed when BTTV is ordered )  out of the millions of TV aerials  in existence, only a  minuscule fraction would be anything to do with a BTTV subsidised install, so why assume it was done in association with BTTV ?

Even if the aerial was installed originally for BTTV , the work is not done by BT, they just put the householder in touch with the aerial company , and subsidise the cost of the install,  the opportunity to ‘complain’ about the way the aerial was installed would have been to whoever installed the aerial ( the aerial company )  not BT, and the period has long since expired when a complaint may be dealt with ,  the aerial company would only have to remedy any defect  within the warranty period ( presumably 12 months ), not potentially many years later .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your in-depth comment. I'm not an expert clearly, certainly not a "recognised expert" so excuse me for labeling a freeview aerial a "BT Aerial" . I had assumed that the new freeview aerial was fitted by in conjunction with a BT order as SKY and BT are the only provider in my area so you can see why i speculated BT, thanks for also clarifying about who would have installed the aerial and i am well aware that the current house owner finalised it upon completion of install. 

Thanks for everyone's comments I will resolve the issue myself.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Apart from the fact that BT and Sky wouldn't be the only providers in your area, it seems a strange assumption to make that a broadband provider installed the aerial. I suspect in more than 90% of cases, a TV aerial installation has nothing to do with a broadband provider and is just an independent installation.

0 Ratings