When we are forced out of our existing very good landline system ( https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/ ) in the next few years against our will presumably at least these 2 things will be much worse and nothing will be better:
1. I have landline 'phones in 3 downstairs rooms and 4 upstairs so 7 physical phones for the home number (and one downstairs for my separate work number). I presume that all goes by 2025 so instead of access in seven rooms I will have access in only one. I will be running around the large house like a cat on hot bricks chasing down 2 flights of stairs all over the place to catch the phone calls. How awful. How much worse.
2. If we have a power cut (or if my BT broadband cuts out as it does at least once a day albeit briefly) there will be no telephone line operational at all. This is much much worse than currently where we have the benefits of separate services. Power down - no problem, my 2 separate landline numbers and BT accounts both still work. 2025 - whole new world of appalling connectivity, no emergency service and if power is down you could be there for days with no ability to call for help.
3. My internet cuts off once a day at least - already done so today for 2 minutes already - but my lovely telephone service on my 2 separate landline numbers never cuts out. We will be moving from a very reliable service to a much much worse one which depends on all kinds of things such as wifi, how many other people are using broadband at once and all kinds of things.
4. The new services will not accept reserve charge calls. Yet I am the landline point of contact day or night 24/7 with the home landline number few know for the whole family whether stranded in a Brazilian prison or Australian rain forest - they all know they can reverse the charges and get through to the landline by my bed night or day. That will totally disappear with the new worse services by 2025.
5. Currently I have 3 BT landline numbers - one is my work number with broadband on it too. Presumably with that I just plug the phone currently in the wall into my BT modem and it all works and sounds just as clear as now - only phone is in my office. The second - the home number is more complex with its 7 extensions around the house and the second broadband account for which I pay is on a different telephone number which comes into the house via a modem on the 3rd floor and provides broadband upstairs on that side of the house. I need in my office a landline home number telephone but not the modem there. The modem needs to stay upstairs to get signal upstairs so plugging in the home phone up there is useless. I really just want to keep the 7 handsets around the house for that home number but particularly want one by my bed and in my office as now. I cannot see how that is going to be remotely possible.
These terrible problems are just the start of what is going to be about 1000% worse than the current service. I can see nothing at all that will be better.