Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

The number you dailled cannot be recognised

Hi

I am hoping someone can help with this. I am posting the question on behalf of my mother who consistently gets the message "The number you dialed cannot be recognised" whenever she dial my sister's landline number from her landline number. I do not see the issue when I dial my sister's number, nor does my mother get that message for any other of the calls she makes. My mother and my sister are not on the same  exchange, and my mother insists she isn't dialing incorrectly or dialing too few or too many number digits. She doesn't use "contacts" facilities in her phone or even last number redial so I am confident this issue is a real problem !

I have also recently replaced both her handsets with "simple" BT handsets, so I'm very confident that its not an issue with the number buttons not working.

Any advice or suggestions really appreciated ! as its really driving her nuts (and now me !)  Thankyou

7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: The number you dailled cannot be recognised

@barkie 

Who does your mother pay her phone bill to?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Apparently she is with Southern Electricity

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

In addition the the question already asked ( is your mother a BT Consumer customer ) is your sister also a BT Consumer customer, and has either party recently changed phone provider ?
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@barkie wrote:

Apparently she is with Southern Electricity

Then she would have to contact them, and they will need to arrange for Openreach to look at the phone line, as there is most likely a line or call routing fault.

This is a BT Retail Customer Forum, and can only help people who pay BT Retail for their phone line.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

So my sister recently had a new telephone number as she moved to Billingshurst last year

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@barkie wrote:

So my sister recently had a new telephone number as she moved to Billingshurst last year

Only Southern Electricity (phones) can deal with this as it could be a routing issue from your mother`s line to your sister`s line.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Thanks Keith - appreciate the speedy response, and insight into what the problem may be.