Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: The wretched HH5

@justinius23 wrote:

oh come on @gg30340, you're being disingenuous.

Please explain how I am being disingenuous. I am being entirely frank and sincere when I say that the routers supplied by all ISPs are rubbish in comparison to third party routers and that the ISPs should stop supplying their own routers. If the customer wants a router from the ISP rather than sourcing their own the ISP should offer a range of decent routers at market prices. 

I also think that it is unbelievable that when it is obviously a router problem that people are having, they persist with the HH5 because it is "free" and won't spend a few pounds on a decent router which at a stroke will probably transform their Internet experience and do away with all the hassle and moans that they have.

If you read through this forum the majority of the problems are router related but if you want to stick with the router supplied by ISPs then as far as I am concerned don't moan about it being rubbish.

I am not asking you to agree with me I am only giving my opinion.

Message 12 of 25

I don't think that the routers are actually free. The cost is built into the cost of the broadband. The last time I took a look in the BT 'shop' the HH5 was expensive. Either way, free or not, it should be fit for purpose.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 25

Of course the cost is built into the cost of your package because nothing is ever free but it is deemed to be "free" otherwise at the end of your fixed term contract the price of your broadband would need to drop to reflect that the Homehub has been paid for.

Yes it should be fit for purpose and general speaking given the number that BT must supply it will be fit for purpose, as in it will connect to the Internet by either wireless or Ethernet but that doesn't stop it being a poor piece of equipment.

A Trabant motor car was fit for purpose but would you want to use that as your main means of transport!

Message 14 of 25

How much do I need to pay for a decent router?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 25

If it is a VDSL Modem/router (one box solution)  they start about £70. If you have an Openreach modem or buy one from an auction site for about £20 you can then use it with a router that has a WAN port and they start about £25 upwards depending on what spec you want.

Have a look at this link or search the Internet for router specs then decide what you need for your own use and devices.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/wireless-router-buying-guide/

Message 16 of 25

So the HH5, retailing at £129, is not only rubbish but vastly overpriced!
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

Correct.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 18 of 25

@gg30340 wrote:

Correct.

The wretched HH5 is showing signs of recovery, but as is history with most successful industries in the past, by the time BT have sorted out all the problems, the customer has moved on to something which he thinks is better. Another supplier has moved in with yet more promises.

To repeat - it's strange that the BT Shop is selling and displaying Hubs in order of popularity - like top of the pops. No. 3 is now going at a reduced price, much less than the HH5, and is selling well.

Perhaps this is an indication of loyalty within BT departments! 

Daymo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Even though i haven't been with bt long I haven't had any problems with my BT router. Compared to the offering from Sky it a has been a blessing and has performed a lot better than the sky hub we had , which was very flaky . The HH5 has been solid for me....
justinius23
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 25

that's the thing though. the hh5 seems to have been working fine for most people until the recent debacle. happy to be corrected if i'm mistaken.