cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Using Home Hub (HomeHub) 4 as Router with 4G Broadband

Hi,

I'm rigging up a 4G/Wifi bridge/repeater to allow a neighbour who has a big hill in the way of direct 4G reception to access the 4G broadband.

The system uses a Huawei 4G modem (on EE) connected to a Ubiquiti Litebeam M5 bridge that takes the 4G to his house.  At the house is a BT HomeHub 4 which I'd ideally like to act as a router for wired LAN as well as a wireless access point for mobile devices.

I can access the interweb fine via a wired connection between a laptop computer and BTHH4 router but when I try to log on to the BTHH4 router from an iPhone it connects but immediately brings up a web broser window showing the picture of a HH4 and 'Can't connect to Broadband... The Hub broadband light has come on and it looks like your hub is having trouble connecting to broadband...blah, blah'

I note that if I tap the 'i' button on the iPhone wifi settings, it shows the router address as the Huawei 4G router, not the HH4's.  I assume this is due to the settings on the HH4 and Huawei router which may not be 'optimal'... I am not the most proficient at this caper.  DHCP...?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Using Home Hub (HomeHub) 4 as Router with 4G Broadband

@martinwinlow 

You could save yourself a lot of trouble if you simply used an proper Ethernet switch, and a wireless access point.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Are you connecting to the HH4 Wan port or LAN port?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

LAN
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

True!... But I don't have either of those and this is very much 'on a budget'... and we oodles of redundant HomeHubs!
On a side note, my neighbour currently get 0.1Mbps via his BT landline, we have no fibre (Hebridean island) and satellite is too expensive/laggy/the antennas keep blowing away... (sigh).
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

It might be worth mentioning that I have another HH4 at the end of an M5 link that works fine... except the upstream end of the M5 link is connected to a wired broadband router (another HH4 and again via BT landline but I get the best speed on the island at 7Mbps!!)

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

If you are just using the hub as an Ethernet switch/wap by connecting to a LAN port it will always complain that it hasn't got an Internet connection because it hasn't, there is nothing connected to either the DSL port or the WAN port where it expects to see one!!  It will still work, just ignore the message.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

OK, thanks!