cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crd945
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Using a router without VLAN support (Modem to Switch to Router)

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to use a Google Nest Wifi as my router (instead of the one provided), but it doesnt support VLAN. I read on the support page (https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/9798157?hl=en-CA) that I am supposed to add a managed switch with VLAN support between my BT Openreach Modem and Google Nest Wifi router.

I bought the Netgear GS308E Smart Managed Switch which supports VLAN, but have a few setup questions:

1: When I look in the Switch's admin page, there are 2 options for VLAN setups: (a) Port based and (b) 802.1Q. Which do I use?

2: Do I just set the VLAN ID for 2 of the ports to the VLAN ID specified from my ISP, and use those 2 ports for my Router and Modem?

3: In advanced VLAN settings, I can enable "Advanced VLAN" settings - which include "PVID" options, and an ability to "tag" or "untag" certain ports. Do I need to do anything with these settings?

Thanks in advanced for your help

5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Using a router without VLAN support (Modem to Switch to Router)

Go to solution

who is your ISP.

do you have a separate modem, are you on FTTC or FTTP.?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
crd945
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for getting back. FTTC, EE Fibre Max 2. Yes separate modem (OpenReach MT992)

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@crd945 wrote:

Hi, thanks for getting back. FTTC, EE Fibre Max 2. Yes separate modem (OpenReach MT992)

Try https://community.ee.co.uk/

This is the BT Retail customer forum.

crd945
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks 

sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I have this exact same issue.  I have BT Smart Hub in Bridge mode into an unmanaged switch.  Nest goes into the switch.  Google support said need a managed switch with VLAN features but no idea on the settings as per this post.  My broadband is supplied by BT unlike the previous post so some advice would be helpful in relation to settings for a managed switch to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance