cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Voneus or BT fibre, long term ?

Voneus is putting in new cables on BT poles in my village. The Guy told me if I don't choose to go with Voneus Digital when its available, BT wont provide the digital lines in future. So we would be locked in to Voneus Broadband forever.  Sounds like a trap!  So, if I choose not to have Voneus fit fibre to my house this summer, will BT refuse to connect fibre to my house in future?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Voneus or BT fibre, long term ?

No. BT like all ISPs will happily take you on as a customer if the relevant infrastructure is there.

Message 3 of 18

Hi, thanks for your reply.  It's more about the installing of the infrastructure.  This summer Voneus will fit fibre from the cabinet (which is outside my house) to my home, if I want it.  But they say if I don't take it from them, as it's available, then BT will not fit fibre to my house in future.  I've also read that BT won't use other companies infrastructure. So I'll then be left with copper connection from cabinet to house, or tied to Voneus indefinitely.  They made it sound as though if I didn't take their fibre connection to the house, I'll never get it.

Message 4 of 18

BT and at least 25 other ISPs use the Openreach infrastructure and would not use the Voneus fibre. However there is nothing to stop Openreach running fibre to your location at sometime in the future. 

Only Openreach know if they have that scheduled and in the event that they have you could wait until that happens or you could go with Voneus and then change over to another ISP when your contract ends if that is what you want to do.

You can check to see what Openreach are planning here.

Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband build plan | Openreach

Fibre availability | Openreach

Message 5 of 18

Thanks for your reply. I think I will avoid Voneus and wait for BT, whenever that might be 👍.

Message 6 of 18

@RuthRvs absolute tosh... In our street we've got Openreach fibre, CityFibre and Virgin Media full fibre and they all happily share the same ducting I assume as no roads were dug up by any of them... It took an Openreach chap half an hour to pull our fibre through and do his bits outside 

Message 7 of 18

Thanks, good to know.  We are a semi rural village and Openreach don't have any proposed dates (or years...) planned to bring Digital to our area, but I've asked to be updated as and when they do, as I would prefer to go with them when connecting fibre from bt cabinet to house. Luckily we've got reasonable speeds on the existing connection. Thanks for your reply 👍 

Message 8 of 18

Just so that you are aware, full fibre does not come from the Openreach or as you have called it BT cabinet in the same way as copper does. 

See link

Fibre broadband | Openreach

Message 9 of 18

Hi , thanks for the info... the Voneus guy referred to pulling their lines through to the house. The wires are currently coiled up and hanging from every pole in the village.  To be honest he never mentioned the cabinet, which is outside my house. I just made naive assumptions...  I appreciate all your replies and helpful information.  Thanks 👍

Message 10 of 18

Also, thanks for the link... connections explained! We're currently FTTC, and already get good fibre speeds. 👍