cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scared
Message 1 of 4

WHY HAVE BT SHARED MY NAME/ADDRESS/NO. & PUT MY SAFETY & MY KIDS AT HIGH RISK OF HARM?..

Go to solution

I AM NOT A BT CUSTOMER.. I have been with Sky for over 10 years, so why in the name of God's BT phone book . com has been sharing my information publically WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEDGE? I AM EX DIRECTORY..

Since attempting to leave my ex partner in 2006 & then having no choice but to grab my children and leave everything behind.. my career, my friends, my son's school and his friends in 2008. (we weren't even able to say goodbye to anyone.. we had to just grab and run, leaving everything behind), I've been maticulous to any possibility of my personal information being available that could put my children or me at risk of harm... A Court Order was made 2012 after 6 years of proceedings. I have a violent ex & he isn't allowed to see his children . I moved on & started again with my life to create a safe future for my children..

2017, my ex told me he knew where I lived & quoted my address, I went to the police, ( I was unaware at the time my name address etc was freely available on the BT phone book website...)

Following 5 attempted break-ins to the home i've lived in for 10years, being followed from my local shop 550metres from my home, paint written on my door and the most recent 2 weeks ago where I was woken abrubtly to discover a man in my kitchen who head butted me twice in the face.. I HAVE DISCOVERED BT HAVE BEEN DISPLAYING MY NAME, ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBER TO THE WORLD WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR KNOWLEGE.. 

I am petrified in my own home... AGAIN.. i didn't ask for this.. why have you displayed my information for everyone to see and put us at risk of harm, WHEN I DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR THIS???

I plead to anyone who reads this, how am I supposed to approach this, who is directly responsible within BT for putting my life and kids at high risk and possibly responsible for the attacks on myself and my home and leaving me in fear all over again... divuldging personal information without the customers consent is a serious matter .. I did NOT give permission for BT to do that...  if anything happens to me or my children.. I can at least know this message was posted & will be embedded, time stamped & throuroughly investigated... i am scared for my life, why should I have to leave everything behind an run away AGAIN?... BT should take responsibility for their part of putting our safety at uncessasary risk... i am devestated. I am seeking legal advice, so please do not respond unless you are ok with the knowlege of that.

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: WHY HAVE BT SHARED MY NAME/ADDRESS/NO. & PUT MY SAFETY & MY KIDS AT HIGH RISK OF HARM?..

Go to solution

@Scared 

As your provider is Sky, its Sky have allowed the number to be published, so you will need take up the issue with them.

See https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/HelpAndSupport/HelpAndSupport/

Quote "

The data that we use for A –Z searches is supplied from a database (OSIS) to which all licensed Telecommunications Operators and Service Providers submit their customers' directory data

If you have a service provider other than BT you will need to contact your own service provider as BT is not able to make changes to this central database on behalf of other telephone service providers

Once you have asked your own service provider to make the necessary amendments the correct data will be added to the OSIS database for cascade to all directory service providers including BT"

Scared
Message 3 of 4

Re: WHY HAVE BT SHARED MY NAME/ADDRESS/NO. & PUT MY SAFETY & MY KIDS AT HIGH RISK OF HARM?..

Go to solution

Thank you for your response,

I have already spoken to sky.. I was on the phone for almost an hour, I was put straight onto the Manager without hesitation by the customer service opertive I was connected too, who looked into my information and whether it had been shared by them.  They assured me that they had NOT shared my information to any third party or to be applied on the BT phone book.com platform and I am ex-directory. SKY are also aware & confirmed that I have not given permission for my information to be shared & further confirmed they had not shared my information.

There is no such thing as ammending the damage that has already been done or removing my information I believe to already be well aware of 😞 

So I am I right to think I now should contact OSIS to establish exactly who has applied my information on your BT platform?

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Scared 

As your provider is Sky, its Sky have allowed the number to be published, so you will need take up the issue with them.

See https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/HelpAndSupport/HelpAndSupport/

Quote "

The data that we use for A –Z searches is supplied from a database (OSIS) to which all licensed Telecommunications Operators and Service Providers submit their customers' directory data

If you have a service provider other than BT you will need to contact your own service provider as BT is not able to make changes to this central database on behalf of other telephone service providers

Once you have asked your own service provider to make the necessary amendments the correct data will be added to the OSIS database for cascade to all directory service providers including BT"

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Yes, I would suggest you contact OSIS to find out where the data came from.

As you are not a BT Retail customer, its not going to be from BT Retail.