cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Warning: Scam phone call

This morning I received a phone call from some people claiming to be from BT's Potential Malicious Use department (or something similar). The woman said her name was Venniser. When I said I had trouble understanding her heavy Indian accent she handed me over to a man whose name sounded like Dariel. They claimed that malicious software had been downloaded with my emails and that this was uploading more malicious software on to the BT servers. Because of this, I was going to be disconnected from BT internet. They claimed that my anti-virus and firewall wouldn't protect me from the threats.

I was unwilling to follow any directions given over the phone to resolve the 'issue'. I asked the woman for my BT billing reference as a way of confirming that the call was genuine. The number she gave me was wrong - it didn't even start with the right letters. If I'd know at the time that BT employees have an ID number, I'd have asked for that instead of their names. When I told Dariel that BT would have sent some kind of notification of their intention to disconnect, he told me it was probably in my Spam folder. It isn't. I haven't received anything from BT, email or post, since my last bill. When I said I didn't believe the call was genuine, he told me he was going to disconnect my internet there and then, and disconnect my phone at the same time. I said goodbye and hung up. That was two hours ago. I'm still here!Smiley Happy

The call sounded like it was coming from an office or call centre - there were other voices in the background. Dariel gave himself a convincing job title - Senior Supervisor. When I dialled 1471 to find out who had called, there number was not available. This is a scam.

8 REPLIES 8
pierce36
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Warning: Scam phone call

A scam indeed. Thanks for the heads up! Good thing you were not intimidated and ended the call. I read from reports that phone scammers use threat and intimidation to force the victims into doing as they say.
pierce36
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

By the way, I found several complaints on this particular scam at Callercenter.com that included the scammer's phone number. Can the authorities look into them? The phone number's enough to locate the people behind the calls, right?
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Often the phone number you see is not the number that the actual call came from. It is more often than not a spoofed number. See link about spoofing. This is to make it difficult to trace the number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Had a call earlier from supposed BT Support with same story, corrupted or malicious files on my computer causing bad files on their server and that internet connection would be cut off.

Tried to get me to download Teamviewer to get access to my PC, I thought it was likely a scam so typed BT Teamviewer Scam into google while asking questions.

First Hit was the Which site with numerous comments on this scam, they are now pretending to be from BT or Talk,Talk now instead of Microsoft / Windows Helpdesk which was the older version of same Scam.

Put phone down and not heard back yet.

I have had enough dealings with BT Support and helpdesks that it did not ring true from the off.

Especially when they try to tell you that all the items in the Event Viewer Error log are due to malicious files.

It would not hurt for BT to put out an email warning about this scam though.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

There are so many scams doing the rounds that you would have to get Microsoft, Banks, Building Societies, Pension Companies, Lottery Companies etc etc etc to put out emails warning of them then you would have to get emails warning you of phishing emails about warning emails from these companies and so it goes on.

The best thing is to remember that NO reputable company will ever phone you unsolicited and ask you to reveal any personal details, log on username or password details or security questions or to access your computer.

They will never ask you for bank account details or tell you that there is a problem with your bank card and they will arrange a courier to pick it up or any of the many other ways to get you to part with your cash.

No ISP will contact you about corrupted files or folders on your computer effecting their servers or that you have a virus.

In short, any one who phones you wanting your details or access to your computer is a scammer.

Highlighted
malcontent
Message 7 of 9

I've had quite a few of these calls in the last 2 weeks. They're so obviously a scam and they can't even get the account name right. Last time, I had the time to play them along which I did for over 12 minutes until I got bored. Then I gave the idiot on the other end a long hard blast down the mouthpeice from my Acme Thunderer. You should have heard the expletives coming back!

You can buy Acme Thunderer whistles from Amazon. Get the little metal ones. They are so excruciatingly loud! Only use on "genuine" scammers.

OnionRing
Message 8 of 9

0800 328 1572 - data request - scam phone call?

My parents are quite old and are sick of scam calls and I am concerned they might end up falling for one.

I was considering BT Call Protect. A letter came through saying that I could find out more about how Call Protect works by calling 0800 328 1572.

When I rang it, an Indian Call Centre answered and wanted to know how they could help me.  No indication that it was a Call Protect help line.  I was already suspicious.  I said it was about Call Protect and they asked me for my number to verify I was a BT customer - not sure why they would need to know that to tell me how it works, or why they wouldn't know that anyway because my caller ID is not withheld.  I told them the number.  Then they said that under GDPR they needed the contact details of the registered owner of that line  ... er, hang on. 
a) To find about how a service works there is absolutely no need for such info.
b) It would be wrong of me to give my parents personal details out over the phone to an already dubious call centre!
I pointed these out and he said  "I'll talk to my supervisor and see if I can tell you anything about Call Protect without those details" and off he went for a while.
At that point I put the phone down.

Is this a scam - a bogus letter/number/call centre?  Cos it sure as Hell seemed like one.

If it is indeed genuine, it's a very poor way for customers to get info about it: shame on BT.

Message 9 of 9

Re: 0800 328 1572 - data request - scam phone call?

@OnionRing wrote:

My parents are quite old and are sick of scam calls and I am concerned they might end up falling for one.

I was considering BT Call Protect. A letter came through saying that I could find out more about how Call Protect works by calling 0800 328 1572.

When I rang it, an Indian Call Centre answered and wanted to know how they could help me.  No indication that it was a Call Protect help line.  I was already suspicious.  I said it was about Call Protect and they asked me for my number to verify I was a BT customer - not sure why they would need to know that to tell me how it works, or why they wouldn't know that anyway because my caller ID is not withheld.  I told them the number.  Then they said that under GDPR they needed the contact details of the registered owner of that line  ... er, hang on. 
a) To find about how a service works there is absolutely no need for such info.
b) It would be wrong of me to give my parents personal details out over the phone to an already dubious call centre!
I pointed these out and he said  "I'll talk to my supervisor and see if I can tell you anything about Call Protect without those details" and off he went for a while.
At that point I put the phone down.

Is this a scam - a bogus letter/number/call centre?  Cos it sure as Hell seemed like one.

If it is indeed genuine, it's a very poor way for customers to get info about it: shame on BT.

Hi @OnionRing

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

I can appreciate your concern about your elderly Parents receiving scam calls.  There are a lot of reports about these days and you can't be too careful.  I have checked the number you have posted and it is a genuine BT Call Protect number.

We do have validation prcedures in place to protect our customers but you make a valid point that the sole reason for your call was to get some info on the service which doesn't need any form of validation.  The advisor would be providing general information which is already in the public domain and not account specific info.  There is a lot of info online about Call Protect.  Here is one link that has quite a bit of info relating to the service: BT Call Protect - Why BT's free service can help you banish nuisance calls

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You