cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petercom
Message 1 of 42

Warning - scam by so-callled BT technical team that tries to get you to install Teamviewer

I was called by a member of the BT Technical team (from India) who asked me whether I knew that my Internet was going to be disconnected. I said no and he informed me that due to hackers trying to use my IP address and internet server to send out fraudulent emails he would need to clean certain files from my computers.

He asked how many devices accessed the internet and then picked my PC as the one to 'clean' (they avoided my Macbook like the plague!). First he took me through a couple of Run (Command Line) commands to purportedly highlight 'problem' files that were likely the result of 'hacking'. He then went on to get me to download and install Teamviewer software so he could help me clean my PC.

At this point I was certain this was a scam and asked him for proof that he was actually from BT. He quoted my name and full address and phone number, but of course anyone could get that information. At the same time as I went to the Teamviewer site I Googled "BT Teamviewer" and found the older scam reports on this forum.

So I suggested that, to be sure he really was from BT, I would ring him back. At which point he put the phone down.

I really can't imagine that anyone from BT would resort to using Teamviewer.I suspect that these so-called engineers would use Teamviewer to take control of the PC and try and install software that would extract passwords for banking or credit card sites.

I hope this message helps others avoid this scam.

41 REPLIES 41
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 42

Re: Warning - scam by so-callled BT technical team that tries to get you to install Teamviewer

A good warning and to add to it in case anybody has fallen for it.

If the person had access to your computer I suggest that you stop using it on line until you have had it thoroughly checked to ensure that there was no malware, viruses, keyloggers etc  put on the machine and you should change every password that you have for anything that you log onto while using the Internet.

Do not change the password using the accessed computer until you are 100% certain that it is clean. 

It may also be prudent to advise your bank/ credit card company that your account may have been compromised.

In relation to your own post, did you have any recent contact with BT Customer services?

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 42

Re: Warning - scam by so-callled BT technical team that tries to get you to install Teamviewer

@gg30340 wrote:

A good warning and to add to it in case anybody has fallen for it.

If the person had access to your computer I suggest that you stop using it on line until you have had it thoroughly checked to ensure that there was no malware, viruses, keyloggers etc  put on the machine and you should change every password that you have for anything that you log onto while using the Internet.

Do not change the password using the accessed computer until you are 100% certain that it is clean. 

It may also be prudent to advise your bank/ credit card company that your account may have been compromised.

In relation to your own post, did you have any recent contact with BT Customer services?

I had three such calls over the period between Xmas and New Year.

A thick American accent which rapidly turns to Asian, when the caller becomes ruffled.

All calls were "traceable" i.e. the caller i.d. was displayed, but no warnings were shown when trying to trace from websites such as "who calls me", although the first two calls showed a code from a S. American country.. A "spoofed number"?

Third call was an 0845 number.

If your phone has the feature, you can add the number to the blocked caller listing.

It's suprising the number of times these callers come back, even after a period of weeks / months.

Just an abrupt response and hang up is all that is required.

Message 4 of 42

I have had the same experience and agree that all calls of this kind should be dismissed. I also asked the person phoning me reporting to be from BT give me for authorisation that he was from BT which he could not. So I said I would phone him back after phoning BT myself to find out if it was genuine. After phoning BT to ask if they had just called requesting the information, BT could tell me the last time they contacted me by phone, and they had not contacted me that same time as the unsolicited phone call who reported to be BT. BT also advised that I should be aware of such unsolicited callers. 

TelReed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 42

I had a similar phone call from so-called "BT OpenReach" this morning saying my broadband had been hacked.  Again, two Indian men were involved with strong Indian accents.  They asked me to run the Event Logger (which I did) and then they tried to tell me that I had been hacked as there were errors there!  Despite them telling a good story and saying that I wasn't techinically competent to know that I had been hacked, I asked them to prove they were from BT.  One said his name was Robert Burton (not a very Indian name!) and gave his employee number and the address of BT OpenReach in Banbury! Firstly, I know that BT OpenReach (the Wholesale side of BT) wouldn't be the right people to ring about this. They also didn't know the NATO phonetic alphabet - a giveaway - all BT engineers would know this.  They then tried to get me to download TeamViewer. At that point I said I was going to ring BT to check their credentials - and hung up, as I knew there was a part of TeamViewer that allowed access from them to your computer.  They do sound convincing to people who are not technically savvy as they give you your IP Address and the MicroSoft Computer Licence ID as seen from there server.

johnrimm
Message 6 of 42

Why do BT make it so difficult to report or enquire about a possible scam?

Two calls today from a "BT Engineer" telling me that there are some internet problems BT have detected on my line...  can I just...

I said that I did not discuss this type of thing over the phone and hung up.

The call came from 001291832476.

We are registered under the TPS - so is this a genuine BT Engineer?  Or another Scam?  Why doesn't BT make it easier to report or block these calls?

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 42

It will be a scam, I don't think BT would be able to stop it happening. All you can do is to always be vigilant to cold calls like this.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
RDRD6
Message 8 of 42

This exact same thing has happened to me this afternoon. The scam phone number was 01687 243 876.

Worrying.

RDRD6
Message 9 of 42

Just to add, it was a very noisy 'call-centre' in the background (if not recorded, there's a lot of them doing this)!
Highlighted
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 42

As far as confirmation is concerned, ask them to state your BT Account Number. Since this is different from the publically available information it is a genuine form of BT ID - they might just hang up at that point as one such scammer did with me after repeating the usual public details to suggest they were from BT.