cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 16

Re: What is your definition of 'Good customer service' ?

Go to solution

@TelephoneBob wrote:
Is this guy having a conversation with himself?

That's what happens when you work in Customer Services for too long!

YourEIN
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution
True 🙂 Although, my previous comment was in reply to another user.
===========================================

1. Is hub in the right 'hole'? If you have a '2-hole' socket, put the ADSL cable into the small square hole...
2. Make sure you are connecting to the correct 'SSID' e.g. BTHub6-1234
3. If you 'work from home', use a business line, not a residential line.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

@YourEIN wrote:
True 🙂 Although, my previous comment was in reply to another user.

When you're in a multi-user conversation, it's best to quote the post (or a brief extract from it, especially if it's a long 'un) as I have above. That lets others see straight away what you're referring to.

While here, I'll put my awl in about customer service. Companies generally do well enough on the basics (ie selling) otherwise they go out of business. The acid test comes when the customer wants to make a change or, crucially, when they want something put right. As well as good communication skills, the adviser needs to understand enough about the product or service to be able to to get the answer right (whether that's doing it themselves or referring to someone else who can) first time, every time. But even that is not always enough because some issues require follow up, and that's when things too often get really tough for the customer.

The lack of ongoing contact with a particular individual, the sticking to a scripted rigmarole even though the customer has been through it all before, and case notes which are too often hopeless even if they exist, can all conspire to produce responses which are at best inadequate and at worst maddening. Bad customer service in other words.

I'll get a slapped wrist if I mention a couple of companies (one a BT Mobile competitor) whose customer service, in my experience, can be relied on consistently to meet the definition of "good". Apart from the moderators on this forum (says he, sycophantically), who score highly because of their knowledge and their ability to take individual ownership of problems, BT's has generally been, er, let's just say not always so good.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
wb7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

I used to work in customer service. And I hated it. For me, it was a stepping stone. If you want to get into an IT or network technology or project management speciality, and you don't have many qualifications (or even if you do have many qualifications but you get knocked back on the grounds of not having had enough experience), you start off by trying to get a job on a helpdesk - and if you can't even get a job on a helpdesk, you make do with any job in a shop or a call centre until you can.

Once you've worked on that helpdesk (or that call centre) for a bit, you make notes of any examples you can think of where you have gone the extra mile, which you can then spin yarns about in your interviews for your next job, to demonstrate that you know what good customer service is - but here's the important bit: you have to be picky about what jobs you apply for. Don't just leave one mind-numbing customer service job for another one; instead, make sure you apply for jobs which challenge your creativity and your problem solving a little bit more, but where you are also likely to get a lot more autonomy over how you organise your workload.

So don't think too hard about what "good customer service" is; you'll drive yourself mad if you do. Use your experience to the extent that you have to, and then move on. Those who don't are doomed to low pay for their entire careers.

TL;DR - "good customer service" is basically just snake oil.

Burbage61
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution
what a load of Sh*t is BT customer care, just pee'd off with the time it takes to resolve anything. India waste of time. Contact the moderator HOW !
there is no customer service. BT you really are the bottom of the pile
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Burbage61 wrote:  Contact the moderator HOW !

This forum is designed primarily for customers to assistant and advise each other. There is no direct link to the moderators, but they are on hand to oversee the forum and help with issues that fellow customers are unable to resolve. Your post about SmartTalk will be picked up in due course and the moderators will become involved if necessary.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.