Guru
Webby

Re: Where I curently stand with BT

1) anything that comes from the internet into your home is downloaded.

2) American version of Netflix is FAR superior to BT vision, simply DNS change sorts this

3) Netflix app on the PS3 delivers content in 1080p, and most of it with 5.1 dobly digital sound.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert
Cameron

Webby wrote:

1) anything that comes from the internet into your home is downloaded.

Apart from stuff that is streamed, like videos and music, from youtube or spotify for example. And while web browsers might cache a few files on the hard disk, most of your web surfing doesn't involve downloading to the hard disk. Theres probably lots of other examples of using the Internet where you don't download stuff, but you get my point.

Guru
Webby

Yes but streaming is still data downloaded from the internet to your home. Just because it's not permanently stored doesn't mean it's not downloaded :smileywink:

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Webby wrote:
Yes but streaming is still data downloaded from the internet to your home. Just because it's not permanently stored doesn't mean it's not downloaded :smileywink:

Some dictionaries don't specify, eg Chambers online:

Download: computing to transfer (data) from one computer to another

Wikipedia, which like it or not is becoming the arbiter, makes a distinction between downloading and streaming, but is still uncertain, using the word "imply":

The use of the terms uploading and downloading often imply that the data sent or received is to be stored permanently, or at least stored more than temporarily. In contrast, the term downloading is distinguished from the related concept of streaming, which indicates the receiving of data that is used near immediately as it is received, while the transmission is still in progress and which may not be stored long-term, whereas in a process described using the term downloading, this would imply that the data is only usable when it has been received in its entirety. Increasingly, websites that offer streaming media or media displayed in-browser, such as YouTube, and which place restrictions on the ability of users to save these materials to their computers after they have been received, say that downloading is not permitted. In this context, download implies specifically "receive and save" instead of simply "receive". However, it is also important to note thatdownloading is not the same as "transferring" (i.e., sending/receiving data between two storage devices would be a transferral of data, but receiving data from the Internet would be considered a download of data).

Although YouTube seems to have made up its mind, I'd say it's work in progress, though the move is clearly towards a clear distinction.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Webby

Grey area. Either way, I'm not getting content illegally :smileyhappy:
Aspiring Expert
Cameron

pottyperson wrote:

Webby wrote:

Some dictionaries don't specify, eg Chambers online:

Download: computing to transfer (data) from one computer to another

Wikipedia, which like it or not is becoming the arbiter, makes a distinction between downloading and streaming, but is still uncertain, using the word "imply":

The use of the terms uploading and downloading often imply that the data sent or received is to be stored permanently, or at least stored more than temporarily. In contrast, the term downloading is distinguished from the related concept of streaming, which indicates the receiving of data that is used near immediately as it is received, while the transmission is still in progress and which may not be stored long-term, whereas in a process described using the term downloading, this would imply that the data is only usable when it has been received in its entirety. Increasingly, websites that offer streaming media or media displayed in-browser, such as YouTube, and which place restrictions on the ability of users to save these materials to their computers after they have been received, say that downloading is not permitted. In this context, download implies specifically "receive and save" instead of simply "receive". However, it is also important to note thatdownloading is not the same as "transferring" (i.e., sending/receiving data between two storage devices would be a transferral of data, but receiving data from the Internet would be considered a download of data).

Although YouTube seems to have made up its mind, I'd say it's work in progress, though the move is clearly towards a clear distinction.

you can highlight words all you want, but I would say that pretty much proves my point. Some other examples of using the Internet without downloading are Internet comms such as Skype and messaging on sites like Facebook, and Internet gaming. If you want to try and explain how you download with these, your welcome. I think this site is becoming pretty bad for ppl posting so called facts which are just plain wrong. Some ppl are going to come on here, read this, and go away with information that just isn't right. Perhaps you should check your facts before you post in future.

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

@ Webby

"1) anything that comes from the internet into your home is downloaded."

False.  Netflix is streaming.  Downloading is different.

"2) American version of Netflix is FAR superior to BT vision, simply DNS change sorts this"

So like I said you are stealing content.  You are pretending to be in america to receive content that you are not entitled to.

"3) Netflix app on the PS3 delivers content in 1080p, and most of it with 5.1 dobly digital sound."

Being 1080p does not make it blu ray quality.  Anyway, many blu rays have 7.1 sound. 

Aspiring Expert
Ewaawoowaa

"Grey area. Either way, I'm not getting content illegally"

Yes you are.  You admitted to using a DNS to fool netflix servers into thinking you have an american account. 

Aspiring Expert
Cameron

Webby wrote:
Grey area. Either way, I'm not getting content illegally :smileyhappy:

Well, legally speaking, streaming and downloading are very different. If you watch a film or programme by streaming, you don't actually have the content, you just watch it streamed from the Internet. If you have downloaded it to your hard disk, you do have a copy of that content. Big difference legally speaking, especially if you go and make copies to give your friends or flog down the market.

Guru
Webby

[ Edited ]

Ewaawoowaa wrote:

1) anything that comes from the internet into your home is downloaded."

False.  Netflix is streaming.  Downloading is different.

"2) American version of Netflix is FAR superior to BT vision, simply DNS change sorts this"

So like I said you are stealing content.  You are pretending to be in america to receive content that you are not entitled to.

"3) Netflix app on the PS3 delivers content in 1080p, and most of it with 5.1 dobly digital sound."

Being 1080p does not make it blu ray quality.  Anyway, many blu rays have 7.1 sound.

"Grey area. Either way, I'm not getting content illegally"

Yes you are.  You admitted to using a DNS to fool netflix servers into thinking you have an american account. 

Less than 7% of availabile blu-rays have 7.1 sound. Having a 5.1 set up, that's irrelavant.

I can't tell the difference between Netflix streamed 1080p and a blu ray of the same movie, so to my eyes, it's as good as.

Can you point me to where I can find the law about using a different DNS server?

Netflix are aware that people from the UK are watching US content, it's not stealing. If I take my laptop on holiday with me to America and connect to an internet service over there, I'd get the American content.  Netflix account's aren't location orientated. There's no such thing as a UK/US/Canadian accout. It's just a netflix account.

Even if I was getting content illegally, that's for me and my morals to live with. You just stick with SD freeview and enjoy it :smileyhappy: