cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: Who is BT?

Agreed but the BT Residentiall part of the BT Business group, of which this forum and it's moderators are part of, can not do anything about Openreach's part of the business group.

If you think of it as though you were a Talk Talk customer and had a line problem. You would be complaining to Talk Talk and if they told you it was up to Openreach to effect a repair and they could not do anything about the fault until Openreach dealt with it. While not being very happy about it you would probably accept that it was nothing to do with Talk Talk and blame Openreach.

This is exactly the same for BT Retail, they are just an ISP the same as Talk Talk and do not get preferential treatment from Openreach yet everybody blames BT Retail because they think BT and Openreach are the same.

What I would say is that ISP's regardless of which one they are, even mentioning/blaming Openreach is wrong. My contract is with ISP not Openreach. It my ISP that I pay my bills to to provide me with an Internet connection. I don't care how or who they use to enable this to happen. It is irrelevant to me. It is up to my ISP to repair/fix any problems they have in delivering the service I pay for. If that means they have to deal with Openreach that's fine and their problem just don't pass the buck or blame. Sort the problem for your customer.

Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 21

@helios, I have some knowledge of Corporations and probably more than you have but just like people to be a little more accurate. However, I will shut up as you suggested.
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 21

@gg30340, great answer. I will not post any more on this subject in case I upset people.
Shadd
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

I have to agree and dont mean to offend any one but saying they are different companies is not true and its a tad anoying and I dont see the point of pointing it out to people anyway?

The fact is Bt just had to break into small companies to try and create a more equal market place for other providers but are all part of the same group including plusnet.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

I think customers need to understand that although openreach and our ISP BT Retail are companies in the BT Group they cannot act like normal companies within the same group and give group companies preferential treatment. This has been specifically been stopped by OFCOM and any infringement of OFCOM's rules would happily be reported by the other ISPs TT, SKY etc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 21

An interesting series of posts!! However, let me set a scenario. When I have a problem with my internet connection, which is Infinity and therefore provided by Openreach, I whinge on this forum and the mods pick up that problem and resolve it.

How do they manage that? Remember this forum is run by/provided by BT Retail who also employ the mods - BUT - BT Retail is a different company to Openreach and nothing to do with each other (apparently) so how do the mods accomplish this reolution of my problem which really I should be directing at Openreach? I cannot do this as there is no equivalent Openreach forum. So whatever has been noted about the separation of the two companies it would seem that there is some linkage between them - or am I being too simplistic?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

the mods access to openreach is no different to the access by TT or SKY helpdesks.  if it was then both these ISPs would be first to knock on OFCOM door claiming BT Retail was getting favourable treatment.. Next thing would be new headlines about BT being fined by OFCOM

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 21

Perhaps I did not make my point sufficiently clear. The thrusts of previous replies in this thread seems to be that as BT retail and Openreach are separate companies then there is not much that the mods (employed by BT Retail) can do if a reported fault/problem lies within the ambit of Openreach. Experience, however, would seem to contradict this in that the mods actually do seem able to resolve these problems. Ergo, they would appear to have a method of easily contacting Openreach to explain a problem and asking for a resolution.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

I agree but no more so than the helpdesks of TT or SKY or any other ISP who are clients of openreach

If you are suggesting the mods get preferential treatment from openreach because the work for BT Retail then that is a serious breach of OFCOM rules

viviana
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Openreach is infrastructure division of BT. The parent company is bt, right?