Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dzil
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Wiring colours for extension socket

Go to solution

I have a very old socket that is working intermittently.  It has all but fallen apart today so  I want to replace it with a new socket but the wires are black, green, red and white - not the colours I am used to.  The far end of the lead is plugged in to the master socket with the usual plug and as it goes through several walls and upstairs I don't really want to have to replace the cable as it seems to be OK.  Can anyone new socketnew sockethelp please?broken socket with wires inbroken socket with wires inbroken socket where plug  entersbroken socket where plug enters

11 REPLIES 11
RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wiring colours for extension socket

Go to solution

You only need to connect terminals 2 & 5 of the IDC terminal block of the new socket to the wires that were in the same numbered terminals of the old socket. Were they numbered? I make it the WHITE & RED wires. The other wires should be neatly cut off as close to the block as possible, with no overhang or "tails" showing.

However I don't recognise the old socket, maybe because of its angle or its damage. It appears to be a phone socket combined with a terminal block, which I've not seen before. Have you a photo of the whole thing?

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@Dzil 

Who provides your phone service?

RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I think what you have there with the old "socket" is not a socket at all but a telephone extension cable. 

Dzil
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
BT, who installed a new master socket a short while ago. This didn't affect the extension though.
Tags (1)
Dzil
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
I think you are right. it was just hanging loose behind a radiator when I found it) and the outer casing was split. I took off the outer casing before taking the photograph (it was not held with a screw or anything and virtually fell off)
I will take upload a photograph of it reassembled as best I can.
Tags (1)
Dzil
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Thank you. I'll try that.
RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks! Is that extension just for a phone, not BB?

Dzil
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for all this help, it's really appreciated.

Yes, it's for a telephone and answer phone in my kitchen. 

RobbieBaron
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Test it works with just terminals 2 & 5 before cutting back the others. It should do.