Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisa14
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Withheld numbers

Go to solution

Hi, this is the first time posting, so I apologise if I'm on the wrong board!  I have BT call minder and for some reason its stopped working.  All withheld numbers come straight through without being announced.  I can't reject all anonymous calls as my moms number is a withheld number, but all numbers are starting to come through.  At one stage the phone never rang.  (BRILLIANT!) Now its keeps ringing again.  I have checked and the "guardian" is  still "on" the only thing that's changed is we have changed to Virgin for Broadband and phone etc would this make a difference? (I hope this isn't the reason as it's been a big mistake anyway!!!) 

Thanks in advance and I hope you can help.

Lisa

6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Withheld numbers

Go to solution

@Lisa14 

As far as I am aware, BT Callminder is only for BT  customers.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/all-about-bt-call-minder

As you have now moved to Virgin, who have their own totally separate phone network, its not going to work.

Lisa14
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  thanks so much Keith it's my mistake its "call guardian" when you call from an unknown number you have to press # and announce who you are.  It works for numbers that arent in my contacts book but all withheld numbers come through without having to be announced so they can be anyone!   Sorry for the mistake.  Out of down to my age !!! 😉

Lisa

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Lisa14 

I understand now.

Phones with BT Call Guardian require  caller display to be active on your line. You will probably have to ask Virgin Media to enable it.

If its enabled, you should see the phone number of the person who is calling you.

I am sure I have read on the forum, that people had issues with BT Call Guardian, when the tried  on Virgin Media, so it may be that the caller display signal is not compatible?

Sorry I cannot help any more, as I know it works fine on a BT Retail line, as I have call guardian on my BT4600.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Lisa14wrote:

I can't reject all anonymous calls as my moms number is a withheld number

Hi @Lisa14   Just as an aside, I have several relatives with withheld numbers, so I simply asked them to put 1470 in front of my number so call guardian identifies them. They only have to do it once and save my contact number with the 1470.

Lisa14
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you
Lisa14
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
@VeteranISPUser Thank you