Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markythesparky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

calls regarding broadband being disconnected

Go to solution

Is it just me, or others getting phone calls saying it is bt and your broadband will be disconnected unless you press 1 and speak with us ,had 3 or 4 calls over the last couple of days number is international and not displayed so cant block ,intrested to see if others are having issues .

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: calls regarding broadband being disconnected

Go to solution

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48253/kw/scam%20calls/c/761,6077

Nothing to do with BT.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

They will also try to extract personal information from you.

There are lots of threads on this board about this.

https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Fake-phone-call-from-BT-broadband-will-be-cut-off-today/td-p/...

BT Call Protect may help, there is even a chargeable VIP version which will only allow numbers that you specify, all others are rejected.

Do Not Disturb and VIP part of the Call Protect system. It does  however cost £3 per month

The other alternative is a call blocking phone.

GaryG
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
I have been drowning in these calls all this morning; about 8 at my last count! It is true that, if they call from a displayed number, then Call Protect can be used to block them. However, most of the time they call from a withheld number, and then Call Protect is useless.
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

We've had two calls today but they seem to be escalating as the lady on the recorded message said they had not received a reply from their previous call and due to illegal activity on our internet it was being disconnected in 24hr. Its about time that Companies should not be able to withhold their numbers?? Its the elderly that are at risk the most, as some are easy confused by these calls and end giving all their personal details.