Expert
Paul1360

BT Sports app

Hiya,

From BT Sports site under the Legal Stuff tab:----

The BT Sport App works on iPhone (3GS and above), iPad (iOS 5.1.1 and above) & selected Android devices with OS 4.0).

Can someone from BT please let us know which devices have BT in the pipe line to use this app or are you going to be like:-

"Sky and tell your customers that you have no idea which devices will be supported on the BT sports app or say 10" android tablets are on our roadmap for 2013 maybe/maybe not and by the way we have no idea what devices are being worked on at present".

I really really hope that BT will not go down this line but instead tell it's customers what devices the Android app will work on and if 10" Android Tablets will be supported. You have already kicked up a lot of interest with the news about BT Sports you released yesterday and lots of customers/non customers are hoping you will be forward thinking about Android Tablets, after all they are the most popular tabs in use in the UK and Android OS is as well. Please Please don't make the same mistake as Sky by telling your customers lies about android support, If you support these IMHO a lot of Sky Customers will move over to you from Sky as they have refused to support Android 10" tabs for over 18 months now and their customers have had enough.

iechyd da

sky twitter account a customer ask why sky go streams are worst then sd and yet bt and eurosports apps stream in hd. Reply from mod, oh thats easy the files for hd are some huge that sky go can't play them and no app can stream hd due to this and so when they say they are they're really sd streams, if there was any way around this we would have done it now.
Aspiring Contributor
Gashead

Re: BT Sports app

Iechyd da indeed! I'm hoping BT dance on Sky's grave with the pace of their Android device development. Being limited to sports only should help minimise the third-party rightsholders issues e.g. we can't do HDMI out from a tablet but the horse has bolted for PCs, you can't get BT Sport 2 on a Thursday if there is an R in the month etc.

It was interesting to see ITV have relaunched their Player but only on Samsung devices, excluding the Nexus 10 of course, until August. Hoping BT don't get into bed with anybody in particular and if there must be a pecking order then make it vanilla Nexus devices to start with.

jamski

I would like to know if there are any console apps planned. One for the Xbox would be very welcome!
Expert
Paul1360

Diolch yn fawr Gashead,

Yes I really am hoping that BT gives Sky the old 1 2. We all know the reason why Sky has refused to support 10" Android Tabs and why they keep telling lies to their customers and that's because they have a deal with Apple that the ipad is the only large screen tab that can use sky go, they have denied this time and time again and given other reasons as why they can't support tabs and every lie and reason they have given has been shot down in flames by customers that they will only now answer a question with a stock paste and copy answer of "Sorry we have no information on that" or "They are on our roadmap for 2013", Hey great so what devices are on the roadmap please? "Sorry we have no information on that"What hang on you have a roadmap for 20133 to support more android devices? Yes that's correct, Well which devices please? "Sorry we have no information on that"and after you go around the world you end up getting ignored or sent on holidays for spamming the forum for asking the same question over and over. Disgraceful.

That is what I was trying to put over to BT about being open and honest about the app and not mess us around like Sky have. Yes I agree develop the app for the Nexus device and away you go on any android device running OS 4 x x and on some gingerbread devices with a little tweak here and there and hopefully BT will not hardcode their app as that is a waste of time. Hopefully BT will use Google's Widevine DRM client like 99% of the world's media providers, Sky does not use it they use the DRM client that News Corp used to own til late last year (keep it in the family lol) NDS Client, which hardcode per model, device and OS.

Come on BT don't let us down lol

iechyd da

sky twitter account a customer ask why sky go streams are worst then sd and yet bt and eurosports apps stream in hd. Reply from mod, oh thats easy the files for hd are some huge that sky go can't play them and no app can stream hd due to this and so when they say they are they're really sd streams, if there was any way around this we would have done it now.
Aspiring Expert
FC12

Will the app be available in smart phones also around 1st aug?
Expert
Paul1360

So the bt sports website says yes
iechyd da
Aspiring Expert
MJH62

jamski wrote:
I would like to know if there are any console apps planned. One for the Xbox would be very welcome!

It would also be great if it was available via Apple TV. I asked a sales adviser about this and got a response to the effect of "I have no idea" and I suspect if such apps were on the horizon they would have been included in the launch announcement.

Expert
Paul1360

Well there is an app for ios coming and it's not such a big leap to amend it for Apple TV.
iechyd da
Aspiring Contributor
bathgatebairn84

I can't find it but apparently over on Sky's forum someone has said BT have confirmed support on large tablets on the BT Sports App. Is this true, well chuffed if it is.

Aspiring Contributor
ron2000

[ Edited ]

The apps are platform based, not make.models specific.

Any ios5.01 (iphone or ipad) or android 4.0 (phone or tablet) or later should be compatible, though there may be one or two specific models that have hardware incompatibility issues.