tonytodd11

microsoft silverlight/bt sport

Has anyone had the same problem as I have?

I have now got BT to watch on my PC - when trying to see what's avalable to watch, I'm insructed to download Microsoft Silverlight. I've done this Ok but each time I log in the same thing happens. When I try to download Silverlight again - guess what! - it tells me it's already tbeen done!! Needless to say I can get no sensible response from BT phone lines, so thought I'd try this.

I have BT Broadband by the way,so only want to watch on my PC.

Any ideas please??

Tony Todd

Contributor
johngardner42

Re: microsoft silverlight/bt sport

check that the plugin is enabled in your browser( Tools, Addons,Plugins if you are using Firefox)
Aspiring Contributor
dblue

If you're on Windows 8, connect to the Internet through Desktop, and not the IE tile on the Windows 8 screen and it should work. It's a nonsense, but that's Microsoft and BT for you.
Vidray

I have been having the same problems over the last week and I've come to the conclusion I know more about computers etc. than BT helpline does. Anyway am very grateful to DBlue's reply. I've tried opening live BT Sport via desktop and it has worked.

Vidray

Aspiring Contributor
dblue

Glad it worked for you. Ridiculous though that Microsoft's own software doesn't work through its own flagship operating system. And even more ridiculous that BT chose to use Silverlight in the first place. I'm still hoping BT will accept that is a mistake and create a new, better online player.
Beginner
winterwarmer

Yep - had the same problem and the desktop version works. 

I have actually given up on Windows 8 because of the number of problems with it and have moved to Linux (Mint 15).  However Silverlight is, of course, not supported under Linux so I went back to my old boot just to see iif BT Sport worked and then also found this issue. 

Microsoft are clearly crazy with the Silverlight issue but BT are just as bad in using it and cutting out the growing number of users who are giving up on Microsoft. 

As suggested elsewhere hopefully BT will fix this by moving to a more standard platform that will run on Linux as well.  Clearly this can be done as the Android version is running on a version of Linux!

Aspiring Contributor
dblue

I wonder how long and how many completely fed up customers it will take before BT accept that silverlight is a disaster and give us an online player that works. I fear the answer is they never will. Large companies like this hate to admit they messed up. A percentage of unhappy customers mean nothing unfortunately.
Distinguished Expert
legitimise_sailing

Silverlight works which is why Netflix still uses it, despite rumours to the contrary.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Aspiring Contributor
dblue

It DOESN'T work with the BT player does it? For very many customers. Something is seriously wrong and they need to address it urgently.
Distinguished Expert
legitimise_sailing

Works for me, on a Mac and in Windows 8. I think the problems are due to the user's PC, which is outside of the control of BT.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star