Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Controlling AV receiver volume with BT Youview remote?

Hello all. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to control the volume on my Pioneer receiver with the remote for the BT Youview box? 

I've come from Sky and it was possible to do it with their remote and I assumed it would be the same with this one, but any guides online point to being able to control TV volume only, and not amps/receivers. 

Thanks for any advice.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Controlling AV receiver volume with BT Youview remote?

Does the tv remote work the volume on receiver?  ( the tv remote, not the bt tv remote ) if it does then the bt tv remote should also control the volume. 

I don't use an av receiver I have a soundbar and sub that's linked to the tv using a hdmi in the "arc" hdmi port on the tv. So when I adjust the volume the soundbar and sub also adjusts. 

If the sky remote was able to adjust the av receiver volume along with the tv volume. Then the bt tv remote should also be able to do it. 

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.

No the TV remote controls the TV only. The AV receiver has its own remote for volume. The Sky remote controlled the receiver directly, it had a code specifically for it.

I can do what you have done, create a chain but it has knock on effects for other functions on the system that I don't want.

So it doesn't look as though this is possible, shame.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

If you have a new BT Youview box and remote the button on top right marked “TV AV” will allow you to control one other item. So if you are not using that button to control your TV you could use it for your AV receiver. Find out the remote code needed for it and follow the instruction in the BT manual to set it up.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Thanks.
I do have that button. I tried it but it didn't work. My receiver is a Pioneer one, there is only one code for that which doesn't work.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Humax list the following codes for pioneer:

006, 086, 061, 064, 020, 023, 024, 046, 073, 093, 136, 159, 233, 277, 286, 381

When setting up up the BT remote to control my TV I had to go through the process several times before it connected.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Interesting. Thanks a lot for listing those.

The BT site lists four digit codes for their boxes though, so I'm not sure these will work, but I will give them a try.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

OK, so I tried again. The three digit codes do not work for my box (DTR T2100). But I tried the only four digit one listed for Pioneer (3548) again.

Something has changed, in that the volume buttons now do something, which is they seem to control the internal volume of the set top box itself, where a graphic appears on the screen to show volume. This does not correlate with the receiver volume though, which stays the same.

Odd. I think this is a no go to be honest, but thanks everyone for your suggestions.
BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

Unfortunately, the current BT remote control can only be programed to send IR codes for TVs and not IR codes for AV receivers. When the BT remote is set up to control a TV the TV/AV button may be used to select the input on the TV - it typically cycles through HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc, depending on the TV.

However, as suggested above, if you enable HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) on your TV and your AV receiver then the volume and mute buttons on your TV remote control should control the volume on your AV receiver. Most modern TVs and receivers support this.

If you program your BT YouView remote to control your TV (as described in the User Guide) you'll find that the Volume and Mute buttons on the BT YouView remote work just like those on your TV so they will also control the AV receiver's volume (instead of the TV speaker volume). This should do exactly what you want.

Note manufacturers typically use their own name for CEC: LG call it SimpLink, Panasonic call it Viera Link.

On the later Pioneer receivers you normally need to enable "Control with HDMI" in the menu: Press MAIN RECEIVER then HOME MENU and select System Setup and HDMI Setup menus. Turn on the control you want, typically Control Mode, ARC (Audio Return Channel) and PQLS. I think the Pioneer 2015 models and later have this (SC-LX59, SC-LX89 etc) but I don't think older models like the VSX-2021 had it.

In the YouView Settings menu you should also enable Surround sound on the HDMI output. This fixes the box's audio volume and makes the volume buttons control the TV volume (and AV receiver volume if set up as above).

I hope this helps - please let us know how you get on.

BT TV ExpertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

P.S. Sorry - Just noticed this comment:

I can do what you have done, create a chain but it has knock on effects for other functions on the system that I don't want.

Yes, I agree, HDMI CEC control can sometimes have undesirable results, depending on your setup. For example, I don't necessarily want other devices to turn off when I turn one device off because I might be using multiple displays or multiple speakers. If you describe the problem we may be able to help though and sometimes it's possible to configure certain CEC functions but not others, as described above. I was disappointed when I originally tried to use it but now find the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

BT TV ExpertPaulSk
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.